hf1

Any ideas about making nappies last longer? Help!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Any ideas about making nappies last longer? Help!

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Iris seems to be going through a super-wetting stage. I just can't make nappies last on her. :( I'm hoping it's just because it's been a bit warmer of late ... She usually drinks 3-4 full TT cups of water a day. I only give her water, no juice, so I know she's drinking because she's thirsty, rather than because she likes the taste. Over the past few weeks, she's upped her number of BFs too. She was happy enough with just first thing in a morning and last thing at night, but she's now BF about four times a day and draining both breasts each time. This in addition to her usual TT cups of water. I'm stuffing all our pockets with a combo of either Big Weeds and Babeco bamboo boosters or hemp Wonderfulls and the bamboo boosters (not enough Big Weeds!), but I'm lucky if that lasts 3 hours. I put her in a minkee Green Kids pocket this morning with the Wonderfull/bamboo stuffing and we had compression wicking just 2 hours later. I'm planning to strip the nappies, but I only did that quite recently, so I don't think it will help. But I'm going to try anyway.

Any suggestions? Is it just that she's getting bigger and learning some bladder control, so flooding the nappies? Am I going to have to change exclusively to fitteds? (Please no! Too many pretty pockets and DH doesn't like two parters.) Or is it just the change in weather and she might wet less when it turns cooler again? (Not that I'm trying to wish summer away!) I'm trying to use fitteds and wool as much as I can, but I'm worried about her being too warm with the wool ... Oh, and I also struggle with more boosting in pockets, 'cause she has really, really skinny thighs and so we get leg gapes if I over-stuff.

The thing that confuses me is that she's quite a light wetter overnight. I don't even have to boost a Baby Beehinds; it lasts 11 hours.

I guess I'm just after some help/reassurance.

Thanks

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Any ideas about making nappies last longer? Help!

Postby tanya » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm not sure about the pockets. I couldn't get them to last no matter what I stuffed them with.

Wool isn't too warm, even in this weather. Bella has been in shorties all day and her bum is the coolest part of her :giggle:

As for the night nappy, does she have anything to drink overnight? I find on the nights where Bella doesn't wake up to have a drink, her night nappy is virtually dry on the outside :shock: whereas on the nights she drains her cup, it's very soggy.

I'm still struggling with Bella's nappies and she is in fitteds full-time now. Since I have been looking after her I have reduced the amount of juice she is getting so there is literally enough in there to colour the water, but nothing more. She won't drink it at all without any juice. She's still getting through 6 cups a day (yesterday it was 8 :shock: ). Her nappies are soaking wet within 2 hours, so all have been boosted with hemp and bamboo today, luckily there's still room in there for that.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I noticed with Kiara that she was going through stages of flooding nappies too. So I'm tempted to say it's a phase and in the meantime, change her more often. Or perhaps stick your pockets in a dryer as it's supposed to re-seal the pul.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:40 pm

Yep, definitely try a tumble if your pockets are leaking. Lili has been :bf: like mad lately too - well, for quite a while now - I never know if she's hungry/thirsty/just bored... sometimes she responds with a pleased chuckle and heads off to the kitchen when I ask about the first two, but usually she just wants me.

I've always found the whole nap thing (nappies "lasting through a nap") completely nonsensical - Lili doesn't wee while she's asleep!! Sometimes her night nappies are sodden in the morning and sometimes almost completely dry, and I suspect it correlates to how many times she's up and nursing in the night (several, usually :roll:, but occasionally only once or twice). If Iris is a good sleeper, that's probably why you don't have issues at night. :wink:

If you do need to switch to fitteds for a while, don't sell all your pockets just yet, she might well change again soon!

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:59 pm

Iris is quite a good sleeper at night (rubbish during the day :roll: ). Once she heads to bed at about 7.30 pm, she usually stays asleep until about 6 am. Even if she wakes, a quick shush settles her; she doesn't drink milk or water overnight. So I guess that explains her pretty dry night nappies. One mystery solved. Don't know why I didn't think about that logically. :oops:

I'll try a quick tumble for the pockets, just in case there's a PUL issue. But I don't think they're leaking as such, just that the inserts can't cope. But definitely worth a try!

FC it is just a phase and we can use mainly fitteds for the time being. Although I'm not sure we have enough to manage. I'll try boosting them more, too, to try and get them to last longer. Iris gets through about 7 nappies a day, so I think I change her quite regularly anyway.

How much can one child pee?! :shock:

Thanks all. :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:28 pm

We had similar issues with our pockets leaking a while back. No idea what it was but thankfully we're back to normal now. I completely agree with Tanya re the wool. Katie's bum is definitely way cooler in fitteds and wool than it is in her pockets and AI2s. FC its just a phase and you don't need to stop using pockets completely.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, I have definitely just confirmed Bella is drinking lots from thirst rather than for the taste. I just gave her a cup of water and she drained it :shock: I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with her to want/need to drink that much :-?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 pm

tanya2007 wrote:Well, I have definitely just confirmed Bella is drinking lots from thirst rather than for the taste. I just gave her a cup of water and she drained it :shock: I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with her to want/need to drink that much :-?

Is she very active, I know if Jak's been darting about in the garden he drinks soooo much more!

Nichola, as I said in the PM Jak was the same, and there was nothing I could do, pockets just didn't work, no matter how much I stuffed them, and he didn't have Iris' problem of skinny thighs so I could stuff them alot, unfortunately he just soaked too much that it just went straight though pockets, we had to use night nappies in the day, his main nappies were bedbugs, but we also did ok with NLs, and NNs, I think they were the only nappies that worked on him, I got soooo frustrated I even tried sposies but he soaked through them in one wee too, and yet like Iris he barely wee'd at night I think it's all down to bladder control! I took I dry nappy off Summer last night after 2 hrs so starting to panic that she's getting some control, she best not even consider PT before she's 2 :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:28 pm

tanya2007 wrote:Well, I have definitely just confirmed Bella is drinking lots from thirst rather than for the taste. I just gave her a cup of water and she drained it :shock: I sometimes wonder if there is something wrong with her to want/need to drink that much :-?

It probably isn't anything to worry about but it might be worth mentioning to the GP or HV just incase as I know excessive thirst and weeing a lot is an indication of diabetes in adults (don't know if the same applies to kiddlies but I'd guess so)...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat