hf1

Too hot for cloth?

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Too hot for cloth?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I didn't even think about changing nappies for the hot weather!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:37 am

Wet cloth doesn't keep in heat anyway, unlike sweaty plastic backings on sposies. PUL wraps/pockets are fine too as the laminate is breathable :D My mum keeps telling me that cloth nappies will make DD too hot, but she doesn't get it :roll: and she was shocked when she saw her wearing wool shorties in the hot weather, but if you were to wrap a tub of ice-cream in wool it would stay cool for longer as it is insulating, not just warm. There are eco companies now using wool as an insulator for frozen foods!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:46 am

Louis was born in the south of France at the beginning of summer, he was about a month old and I needed to go on a car trip and decided to use a sposie as I had a few newborn ones left that needed getting rid of. The trip was about 1/2 hour but it was very hot. When I got there he had a nappy rash in that short time! He has never had one like that just from heat in cloth (and we use loads of pockets) as others have said the PUL is brethable. if you are using an eco sposie it may be one of those cornstarch type stuff which may well be cooler than a normal plastic dispo!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm

We are using disposables while we are at my folks and I hate every minute of it. I didn't want to run up my folks bills doing the extra washing and also sometimes I feel like I am being frowned upon by my Mum for using cloth. The first night we were here I jumped out of bed to change Gracie's poo bum and 3am only to find she hadn;t pooped the sposi just stank, they are hideous and now the bin is full of them!!!!!
When we go on our main holiday to Spain we are taking cloth as it will keep her so much cooler. I really can't wait to get home and back into proper nappies. oh and Gracie has a kinda heat rash round her girls bits which she never gets with cloth!! xx

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:47 pm

I know what you mean Kirsty I think disposables smell too much like poo when there's none there. Fools my hubby too so I know it's not my nose. But not my SIL who uses disposables all the time. Must be an odour you get used to.

I've kept ds in cloth - if you had to wear cloth or plastic pants which would you find cooler? I vote cloth but my mum votes plastic amazingly enough!!

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:08 am

cloth is definately cooler.
when we went to both Florida and St Lucia I took cloth as we had good drying /washing facilities. In fact it was St Lucia which gave me the wool thing properly, as we used it at night. Not a sign of nappy rash.
We went to Menorca in May this year, and the heat was nothing like the other 2 places, and I had to use disposables as thre was no washing machine, not only was Jack sweaty and rash-y, he stunk to high heaven and I had to wash twice as much due to leaking wee and poo. I wish I had taken the cloth and washed that by hand instead.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:11 am

I have just had DS coverless in fitteds and he seems coolest that way...he is still in a sposie at night as im toying with trying wool for him and just havnt got that far yet :lol:

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:32 am

We live in Australia and its gets disgustingly hot here in summer and never had a problem in cloth. William was born in the middle of summer and he went straight in cloth and was fine. We used PUL pockets 90% of the time.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat