hf1

Too hot for cloth?

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Too hot for cloth?

Postby squidsin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:33 pm

My week old son has been doing really well with his BumGenius but even in just a BG and nothing else, I was worried that he was overheating in this weather so have temporarily switched him to 'sposies. How is everyone else coping with babies and nappies in this heat?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Too hot for cloth?

Postby tanya » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Did you know that it has been scientifically proved that it is at least 1 degree cooler inside a cloth nappy than a sposie? They are far more breathable. My DD's bum is the coolest part of her atm :giggle:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:40 pm

I agree with Tanya. I'd much rather wear a lovely breathable fitted nappy with wool or even a pocket rather than a nasty plastic sposie in this weather!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:43 pm

yes I was worried about this myself but then there are countries much hotter than ours and they must manage somehow?

My avatar
pookie3101
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby pookie3101 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Yes as others have said, cloth is cooler than a sposie. the chemicals in a sposie may well heat up in this weather whereas cloth won't. Anna's bottom is nice & cool & she's been in a fitted & wool all day & her bottom wasn't sweaty at all - unlike the rest of her.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 pm

tanya2007 wrote:Did you know that it has been scientifically proved that it is at least 1 degree cooler inside a cloth nappy than a sposie? They are far more breathable. My DD's bum is the coolest part of her atm :giggle:

Frances wrote:I agree with Tanya. I'd much rather wear a lovely breathable fitted nappy with wool or even a pocket rather than a nasty plastic sposie in this weather!

WTS, cloth is definitely cooler than a disposable in this heat especially if used under wool. I wouldn't even consider using one on my DD, she's mainly been wearing fitteds without a cover in this heat.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:48 pm

The research that Tanya's referring to was done in Germany in 2000. They showed that the temperature inside disposable nappies was anything from 1 to 5 degrees c higher than in cloth nappies. Quite a big temperature difference, really. And that part of a baby boy's anatomy in particular needs to be cool.

We're just using fitteds and wool at the moment. Lovely and breathable. Although I know what you mean about worrying. A 'sposie just looks thinner, so looks like it should be cooler. But plastic just sweats so much more than cloth, so it makes sense that cloth is cooler.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:52 pm

i've been using fitteds and wool too. and when he was in sposies ( :oops: ) his bum would get sweaty but in cloth he's dry.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:00 pm

Amber has been in fitteds with wool today but im ashamed to say i only have 2 fitteds atm as we get on really well with pockets but want to build my stash as i really like the wool, its soo cool!

I have given amber alot of nappy free time but she is fine in her cloth and a babygro :) x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat