Best nappy for a newborn?

My avatar
Farmers
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Best nappy for a newborn?

Postby Farmers » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi!

I am now 12 weeks pg, and have been using cloth on DD (now 2) for a few months, and would like to use cloth for the baby. What is the best option for a newborn? I'm currently using pockets (mainly a combination of blueberry, upsy daisy and wonderoo one size, and a couple of minkis) and prefolds. I love the ease and cuteness of the pockets, but am unsure how well they'd cope with bf poo...

I also don't want anything too plain! I know that sounds a bit silly, but the blueberries I've got are so gorgeous and everything I see I compare to them!

Any newborn cloth tips would also be gratefully received!

Thanks

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Best nappy for a newborn?

Postby littlesez » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:06 pm

Isobella was in cloth since day 3 we used terrys and modern baby wraps xs which were fab. then little lambs. neither of these have ever let newborn explosions out! but plain im afraid. small upsy daisy was good, small itti bitti fab for wees but have let few bf poos out but izzy has skinny legs? i think bluberry smalls are better for us. minkis good but bulky on a newborn. if you look in the photo section i have posted cloth bum pics feel free toask me anything xx

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Iris was in cloth from day 6. I found two parters to be the best nappies on a newborn, simply because of the double barrier at the leg which helps containment. We did successfully use some pockets - WN, FB and Pocket Bots (sized) and BG. I got a BBOS when Iris was a few weeks old and found it to be useless. Missy has very skinny thighs and I couldn't get a good fit (regardless of what I stuffed them with) until she'd bulked out a little. And Iris was hardly a tiny baby (8lb 15oz at birth). Our fitted nappies weren't pretty ones (Sandy's and TB - the Sandy's was much better than the TB), so can't really help on that front.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Archie wasn't in cloth until about 5 weeks, but he was 8 weeks early so was only about 7 ish lbs then! I found little lambs were great, and also got on really well with fuzzis which were a great fit.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Bimbles were our best newborn nappy - fab fit :)
XS thirsties were also brilliant as were the small LHCs...
Oh and WNNL...

XS fuzzis were also fab

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Rowan was in cloth from 2 days old and we stuck to 2 parters, purely because of reliability with breastfed poo. Her first nappy and my favourite was her Swaddlebees Newborn Organic Velour - just gorgeous. We also used Bimbles, Bambeasies, Kissaluvs, Diddy Diapers, Nature Babies Lovables and when she was slightly bigger Little Lambs. All of these were covered by an XS Motherease Airflow so were bombproof. We did have 1 Itti Bitti but constantly had both poo and pee leaks. Rowan had wee skinny chicken legs when she was tiny so I could never get a good fit. (Skinny legs are definately not the case now!! lol) hth

Cathleen xx

My avatar
lollipoplizzie
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby lollipoplizzie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:04 pm

XS Motherease Sandy's under Motherease Airflow wrap all the way, can't get a more bombproof combination for day use in my opinion.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:34 am

We haven't had much success with pockets on Nicky yet. I found that I couldn't get enough stuffing in the ones I had to stop him outweeing without affecting the fit. Two parters do contain the regular explosions better too, I find. If you're really set on pockets I think sized fuzzis are the best we've tried.

I think I do prefer two parters on a newborn. We love bimbles, sandy's and diddy diapers plus I have a small weenotions Northern Lights which I love. Little lambs bamboo are also good.

As for cuteness you can always get lots of cute wraps to go over the shaped nappies. Blueberry do small wraps in al the same prints as the nappies.

I've also dyed all my plain white nappies in varying shades and this makes them much prettier and exciting.

Remember they really do only wear the small sizes for a very short time. I think it's better to buy basics that work well when they are little and spend the money on medium stuff that they will get much more wear out of.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:42 am

Why not just get some lovely wraps, like blueberry and weenotions, and then boring BUT reliable fitteds, like sandies and bimbles!

You could always bulk up your collection with some bamboo terries, I really liked them on Summer when she was diddy!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat