hf1

Newborn nappies?

My avatar
Farmers
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Newborn nappies?

Postby Farmers » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 pm

Right. now I've decided to go for the 2 parters, I need to know a bit more - I've only used prefolds and pockets so far, and am still a bit new to those! I have seen the sandys in the past, but decided to go with the pockets as they're a bit quicker to change when there's a squirmy 2 year old on the receiving end!

So, how many nappies/wraps will I need if I'm going to be doing a wash every other day? If I go for sandys (which seems to have been recommended the most) what size should I get? I have had quite small babies in the past (4lb 15 born at 35 weeks, and 7lb 4 born at 39 weeks) so the extra small seems to be the most appropriate size?? Or would I be better off going for the smalls? Likewise, what size wraps should I go for?

Are there any wraps that people wouldn't recommend to use with the sandys? I'm after cute ones (like Blueberry, Minki and Weenotions), but don't want to waste time and money buying ones that won't work with the nappies.

Sorry to ask so many questions! I'm just trying to judge when to start buying them - I'd like to spread the cost over time, but don't want to buy too many too early!

Thanks ladies!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Newborn nappies?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello,

Don't know what other advice you have had but we used up to 12 nappies per 24 hours, so depending on washing everyother day is up to 24 nappies in the machine and still more handy to use, depending on how you dry.

XS small wraps were a lifesaver for us with our tiny 6lb 2oz baby, the ME ones came to his knees. Wool would also be a good option, some longies or even shorties which could be used as longies until they become crops then shorties as they would have loads of wear.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:53 pm

From birth we've used about 8-10 nappies in 24 hours which is starting decrease a bit now. So depending on how quick you can get them dry you'll need a minimum of 24 nappies if you're going to wash every other day. 6 wraps would probably be enough as they don't need changing at each nappy change unless dirty. Of course I have way more than this. :giggle: :giggle:

Sandy's a great, very reliable. I like the bamboo version the best because it stays softer in our hard water. Size 0 bimbles would have to be my favourite newborn nappies though. I like that they are fleece lined. XS small sandy's fit really well on smaller babies and I can still get him in them at 10lb with room to spare. The smalls fit him from about 8lb. The only problem with Sandy's is that they are quite wide in the back and have the leg frills which mean they don't fit very well under the slimmer fit wraps like Blueberries. They work under Motherease wraps (the most reliable but not very exciting) and also Nature Babies. They probably fit under weenotions too but I don't have a small to test. We haven't used XS wraps at all. He was 7lb 2oz at birth.

The only other thing I'd say is don't buy loads of the same nappy before you try them on your baby because you might not like them or they might not suit your babies shape.

Have fun shopping. :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Id say you need at least 25 nappies too, but they dont all have to be XS ones. If you have enough XS/Small to get you through the daytimes, then you can put on bullier ones at night that will fit longer (like onesize nappies etc). Unless you have quite a big nappy budget it doesnt really seem worth buying 20 XS nappies as they'll be grown out of so quick, it may be worth placing a wanted ad in the classifieds for some, or asking nappy companies if they'll do a discount when you buy more.

I know personally, I'd probably get 4 each of XS sandies, size 0 bimbles and size 0 kissaluvs, then another 15 size 1 nappies (wahm nappies, pockets, everything else really!) and then some onesize nappies to make up the rest. (yes, I am thinking about the newborn nappy stash for a LO who hasn't even been concieved yet :oops: )

I had some mothercare flat shaped nappies for the newborn stage. They worked well and were super cheap because they were preloved! Mothercare dont do them anymore but you may be able to find similar ones. Terries, small prefolds and muslins also work well on tiny babies :D

My avatar
Farmers
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Farmers » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I love this forum - there are always several people ready and willing to answer any silly questions with informative answers!

I'm not sure the bimbles are for us - I don't like the idea of nippas as I don't want DH to have any excuse to not change the baby!

Would the kissaluvs be better than the sandys under blueberry wraps?

I should probably have also said that I have several one size pockets - 2xBBOS, 2xUDOS and 8xWonderoos (or similar), so it's mainly the bf poo containment that I'm after that I'm not convinced the pockets will give. I use prefolds too, but find these a bit fiddly (esp for DH) and not very cute...

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:20 pm

I loved (and still use them a lot in size 2's) little lambs. They were ok for the dinky before 7 1/2 lbs as I folded them down and nippared, then later just used the applix. These are the ones dh will still use every time!

One nappy which I am still in love with is the swaddlebees OV onesize, they always seem to fit perfectly even now and they IMO are well worth their money as they are just lovely!

I've never used a sandy or kissaluv sorry!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi farmers i will bump my picture posts now for you to look at my Isobella a few weeks old in different nappies if that helps, ask me anything. Also another little lambs fan here I will route out a pic in a mo and post for you. For containment we never had any probs with little lambs wraps (althpough velcro is going already boooo done a post about that!) motherease are excellent but smalls were big on newborn perfect for isobella from few weeks until now (4 1/2 months) and my fave newborn wrap were modern baby xs (have posted these on classifieds)

Any questions on the pics just ask

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Farmers wrote:I'm not sure the bimbles are for us - I don't like the idea of nippas as I don't want DH to have any excuse to not change the baby!

I find nippas faster and easier than the four separate poppers on a Sandy. DH will always choose a nippa nappy over a popper one. He hates Sandy's. I guess this is why it's good to try out lots of different sorts. :wink: Nippas also offer really good containment because they are so adjustable.

I've never used Kissaluvs in size 0 but the size 1 are a wide/low rise nappy so I'm not sure how they would fit under a Blueberry wrap either. Hope someone else has tried that combination.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:47 pm

Only thing that blueberry wraps work well over for us is flutterby fluff... Almost everything else sticks out round the legs...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat