hf1

Red Bum

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Red Bum

Postby clarge » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi everyone, i posted a bit ago about dylan having a red bum now were in cloth and the suyggestion was made it may be his skin getting used to the materials etc.... Well its been a month nearly and his bum is still red, well more pink, all the time. Its not sore at all, or dry, but pink. Its goes over night, whether in wool or a pocket and by nappy change 2 in the day its pink again. Any clues?

Cara

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Red Bum

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Have you changed what you're cleaning him with?

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Am using home made wipes now but was using normal wet wipes before and had same problem. Have started drying him too to see it it was that.....

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:14 pm

Is it uniform all over, or in patches? Any puffiness?

Also, what kind of nappies are you using? Some babies don't get on with synthetic materials (fleece, suedecloth), and others may need the stay-dry effect of a full fleece lining. Any chance you're using fleece-lined nappies at night but not during the day, or vice versa?

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:22 pm

We use a complete mixture to be honest. Some fleece some not... And its patchy, not all over. Any nappies that aren't stay dry have a fleece liner put in.

It definitely isnt sore which is why i am not worried abotu it. He has been teething though for the first time (at 13 months its late i know) so i think maybe this is affecting it, but not at night is weird, he is also pooping for england. Like 5-6 times a day at the moment.... maybe its the excessive wiping?

Cara x

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:43 pm

When using cloth you should always dry after cleaning even if using disp wipes so it could well be that - hope it solves it for you...

Grace was red (kinda like a pressure mark) for a good few weeks...

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:52 pm

We now do dry after wiping.... mainy use cloth wipes but sometimes disps.....

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:58 pm

If he's pooping a lot it's probably that (or at least, it won't be helping!) - the redness is usually caused by the mixture of, er, wee and poo on the skin, isn't it? Even if you get to it quickly, there's still a certain amount of contact time that can irritate the skin. Are you using a barrier cream? They can have reactions to those too, but it might help. Might be worth trying to get some more binding foods into his diet (rice, bananas, carrots I think...) and cutting down on foods with the opposite effect.

At least it doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it's still distressing to see. :(

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:59 pm

How long is he being left between nappy changes? Changing more often can sometimes help a red bum.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat