hf1

Help -leaking nappies and awkward to fit (bit rambling)

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Help -leaking nappies and awkward to fit (bit rambling)

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi all,

Well 7 weeks into my first cloth nappies and I have a few issues and questions. We started using LLs sized 2-part in terry (plus a couple of bamboo) and BG btp from birth. Admittedly the LL did leak a little as they were a tad too big at the start but they fit fine now but leave marks on him. I have 12 of them. Isaac is very long and slim.
The BGs were a bit better at the start. I've now had to up the rise of these as he pees up and over a lot, though perhaps less so with both inserts, but since upping the rise they now gape at the legs and I keep getting leaks. I should add that I was sold a load new with only the newborn inserts but thankfully now have 2 preloved with both inserts, and missing inserts being sent to me. Am I right in thinking that the problem is the rise? We don't seem to get as many top leaks but more leg leaks.

Also, Isaac seems to be a very heavy wetter as the LL are very soon completely saturated- is that normal? :oops: I certainly can't reuse the wraps at all. I do try to change every 2 hours or so, though sometimes less often, sometimes more often- esp of late.

I also just bought a couple of small itti bitti snap-ins which gape an awful lot :cry: and while they are actually great at pee despite this, I've just had a bad poo incident. I may have to part with them already :cry:

It seems like I am always changing his clothes whether due to leaks or reflux puke. :babyrolleyes:

I have a WN OS pocket which seems great though a bit bulkier, esp with the swaddlebees insert I use. I also have some preloved MEOS but no wraps (well, one) and they seemed really big so haven't got any yet. I also have terry/bamboo squares but can't for the life of me fold them, let alone get Isaac to stay still long enough to fasten :giggle:
I also have a blueberry btp but that's too big to use yet.

Am I best with sized nappies, then? Are 2-parts better? Should I get some nighttime nappies? What brands do you recommend for his shape? I had tried to be a bit more economical by buying btp. :-?

Thanks for reading my ramble! :mrgreen:

ETA maybe the problem with the BG leaks is the material I'm using to stuff? Am only using their microfleece inserts...Not sure.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Help -leaking nappies and awkward to fit (bit rambling)

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:25 pm

I really think its trial and error, I have been buying different nappies off the sales board, trying them and if they dont work I sell them on, if they do work then i buy more!!...every baby is so different!! I have heard that flexi tots are good on small babies so i got one on the sale board but my Ds isnt so slim as he is long and so he is on the widest point of the velcro and i didnt like the fit...

As for little lambs, we had no luck with the cotton ones, the bamboo ones were much better!

We are having MUCH better luck with 2 parters with wraps, for wraps I LOVE thirsties, they are a far better fit on Ds than airflows, rikkis and cotton bottoms :) I am also loving goodmamas and puddlekins on him, these are both OS fitteds so they are a little bulkier than pockets but they dont leak and last at least 3.5-4hrs :)

We have issues with BG's but i think its just pockets all together, we didnt have great luck with them on DD either...I also have HH OS pockets and they are about the same as BG's performance wise...I stuff any pocket we use with bamboo and a EP hemp booster...i dont use MF at all...we get too many leaks...

Good Luck!!

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 pm

How old/heavy is Isaac? Findlay is a teeny skinny boy with a 10 inch waist and 4 inch thighs and Diddy Diapers fitteds fit him well so trying one those might be worth a go.

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks for the great reply and suggestions,Tory! :wink:
Isaac is getting on past 10lb (gets weighed again tomorrow), not sure of his dimensions but very slim compared to other babies close to his age. He's 7 weeks old.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 pm

We didnt last long with the LLs or totsbots as they were always sodden. For fitteds (amber is now 5 months) we found WNNL used to be very good up until now where she is power weeing - the Small ones always fitted well too! We found EH bumhuggers to be ace! We had 4 small preloved ones, now we have 1 large at the moment as i love our Goodmama OS fitteds but i dont think these would suit your LO yet as they are wide in the crotch.

Upsy daisy nappies have never failed me, you could ask them to make you a small, though a medium might fit :) it it Amber from 12lbs!

Ive heard sandys fitteds to be good and diddy diapers though i havent tried these.

We found fitteds better when DD was small but once she fit BBSS small and WNSS, UDs pockets we converted over to pockets in the day with only occasional leakage - id definitely try hemp and bamboo inserts :)

We are now a mix of fitteds and wool and pockets!
HTH, rambled a bit i feel x

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:40 pm

For the pockets, I'd definitely ditch the microfibre inserts and try using hemp topped by bamboo. Or else, replace one MF insert with an Easy Peasy hemp booster. It will up the absorbency without adding bulk. I find trying to keep the rise as low as possible works best in minimising leg gape and leaks. You could always use the bamboo squares tri-folded as a pocket insert. :)

With regards to two parters, I found cotton terry quickly outpeed, just like you're describing - the tabs would be wet and everything. I could practically wring them out. :shock: You can boost between the nappy and the wrap though, to avoid leg gapes in the nappy. Again, hemp works great for slim absorbency. Bamboo nappies are much more absorbent, so I'd look for some of those. Something like Baby Beehinds can be used during the day or overnight (maybe boosted with hemp). And they're BTP. :D

I found Itti Bitti's useless on my tall, skinny minnie. They're so trim fitting, we got leg gape if I adjusted them to be absorbent enough for Iris. I also found Blueberries useless with newborn poo. We didn't start using them properly until Iris was a good few months older than Isaac is - dreadful leg gape again. :babyrolleyes:

I liked two parters while Iris was tiny. And then really got into pockets when she started to be mobile. Not she's a super-soaker, we're back to sized fitteds. And I'm loving OBV fitteds most ATM. :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Experienced similar! Itti bittis seem so brilliant fab for wees but poo exploded out of the legs! and more recently we have a problem with gap on the belly on my skinny belly bubs. but if we tightened them they were too tigh on the legs. I have recently got and itti bitti medium and that is working much better, isobella is still only about 13lbs, long and skinny. We used to wait until she had done a massive poo then put the smalls on! although her poos are not as explosive now, she doesnt seem to save them up! :hohoho:

Isobella out wees LL terry now too, but i love them sooooo much, and a poo has never escaped these. So we have done what nichola says, hanna suggested it to me. We have a hemparoo in between LL and wrap to soak up the wee.

I know how you feel, frustrating as I just want a nappy that will contain poo and wee! All my other nappies are ok but not found the right one for us exactly! :lol:

My avatar
frankie_n_baby
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby frankie_n_baby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Wow, great replies, as ever. Thanks so much. I had also been wondering about inserts, so thanks for the info on those, too. Yay for the chance to explore new nappies, I suppose! :wine: Thanks again. :mrgreen:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 pm

will reply properly later, but it might be worth trying medium ittis, and just to check, but i'm sre you alredy are, make sure you point his willy down

[ Mobile Post ] Image

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat