hf1

Camping and Cloth

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Camping and Cloth

Postby juboo752 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:57 pm

We are thinking of travelling around Europe camping in Eurocamp sites for about a month next year when my work contract ends :D

But do you think it would be possible to do this with a cloth bummed baby?

I really cant bring myself to use disposibles let alone buy them but how easy would it be to wash and get cloth dry while camping plus they will take up alot of room in the car too :-? :-? Has anyone camped and used cloth that could give me some advice/tips?

Are the "Eco-disposibles" any good and are they any better than normal disposibles?

So any suggestions as to which cloth nappies would be best? At the moment my stash consists of mainly fitteds and wool but do have a few AI2's too. Could this be an opportunity to buy yet more fluff that i neeeeeed for camping :giggle: :giggle:

tia

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Camping and Cloth

Postby emmajayne33 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:09 pm

I went camping recently and used sposies :oops: There was just now way we could fit them in the car. But if you can fit them in the car then why not!? Most camp-sites offer laundering facilities and you can make a temporary washing line where ever you are.

Eco-disposables are supposed to be alot better, although I think they are alot more expensive. But you can always buy a few packs to take the pressure off if you are struggling to get things dry :)

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:46 pm

I also used dispos when we camped recently :oops:

I don't think drying would be an issue especially in Europe as the inside of the tent gets really warm even if its not that sunny.

I would say you might be best with quick drying nappies like microfibre fitteds or pockets with MF or trifolded inserts for quick drying properties then you won't have to take too many with you. I took fluffles when we went to Devon and managed with 8 nappies and 4 wraps I think for a week (plus 4 night nappies) but I had a washer in the cottage and washed every other night. Zach only needed 4 nappies a day excluding night times although unexpected poops would have caused problems!!!

I know its not what you asked but I do think dispoables have there place and wouldn't feel too bad about using them for a month if thats what you end up doing. I use Tesco own ones as they are cheaper and better IMO.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:02 pm

i certainly think it would be possible, ittis would be good they dry so quickly, but absorbency wise they aren't great, quick drying fitteds and wool would work well, andi woud imagibe if they have washers they will have dryerd if necesarry

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks for the replies :D

I was thinking maybe Itti's might be a good option???? If i bought more inner's because the outers dry really quickly :-? The only problem with this is, if she has PUL on for 2 consecutive days her bottom tends to get a bit sore, dont know why, but that's why i to use fitteds and wool mostly.

Are fluffles microfibre? I had a LL Microfibre once but couldn't bear to use it because of the feel of it :oops: Are fluffles the same do you know?

The trouble i have with sposies is that Lottie hasn't had one on her bum before and i would feel so guilty especially when i think of all the landfill i produced with my other 3 children when i used sposies full time on them :oops: :( Am i just being silly?

Maybe i'm mad even thinking i could use cloth when camping :giggle:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:51 pm

How about a comprimise, take a pack or 2 of eco disposables (we have used the boots ones before) and also take some cloth, this is what we are doing this year. Gracie will be in cloth over night and in the evenings (I got Ali to make an apron top and sun hat so we can show off her nappies in the evenings :giggle: ). She will be spending a fair amount of time in swim nappies and bare bum in the day (the place we are going to is v quiet so she will be fine bare bummed with no weirdos about!!)

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:11 pm

I certainly think its do-able. You will have other stuff to wash and dry so I would get some quick drying stuff and bung it in with your own clothes wash when you do it. As long as you have a really good wet bag. Zipped would be best I guess. You shouldn't need to take too many woolies as they dont need washing very often so you should be able to stick to your usual system. Just as long as they fit. (Although a months worth of 'sposies would take up quite a lot of room anyway.)

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:54 am

I think its do-able. We are going camping next Sunday for 2 nights (not quite on the same scale but we are taking cloth. We will struggle to fit them in the car as we have 4 adults, 1 baby, 2 tents, 2 sleeping bags, travel cot and all our stuff + Nappies lol Dp hasnt bothered to ask me to take sposies, he knows i wont! Im taking 5 sposies in a little bag for emergencies but taking plenty of cloth!

I think the fitteds with the snap out boosters and wool is a good choice, drying wise. We are taking pockets too with the fold out inserts - like the BB inserts. My neppula dries quickly so thats coming :D

Just make sure you take some essential oil for the wet bag and your own washing powder!!

Sarah x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:02 am

I'd say doable too - I went for a long weekend when Louis was little and took fuzzis with various inserts and if it was just a wee I hand washed it and was dry with in a couple of hours (in France) so could use the same 2 or 3 nappies in a day! I then had a bag I put pooey and night nappies in. If we had been staying longer I would have done the same thing as it was easy and didn't end up with too much washing (think I only went home with about 5 nappies to wash!) so you wouldn't feel like you were forever at the site laundromat! Something like a easy peasy bumble would be uber quick drying and allow you to still use your wool. There is a great photo of my mum camping in France in the early 70's with a line full of lovely white terry squares flapping in the background between tents!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat