hf1

Bigger child cloth nappy pattern

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Bigger child cloth nappy pattern

Postby Elaine » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:04 am

Can anyone tell me where can I get a pattern for a child of 7-8 years old for a nappy?
My friend's child have brain damage and the disposables doesnt work weel for them anymore. She wants me to make her some.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Bigger child cloth nappy pattern

Postby ems » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:10 am

Ask her for one of the sposies she's got for him/her, and use that as a starter. I made some for a couple of kids in our road, a couple a few doors down from us foster kids with CP, and the local PCT only give a few sposies, literally 3 a day per child!!!! So I made them a few.. One thing that will determine the fabric you can use is what sort of bladder the child has. I wont go into the medical side, but basically does he.she trickle all day.. or does the bladder fill up and then release it all in one go...
Some fabrics are great with a flush of water, some are good, but not very fast to absorb, and some are not great soakers, but absorb super quick.. Although it matters for a baby/toddler, it matter a great deal for an older child with bladder capacities that are two three times as much a s a baby ;)

Hope this helps.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Bigger child cloth nappy pattern

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 am

I think Nappies by Minki do an older child range, although they're expensived compared to making them. They'll need to be well made too, to withstand what they'll go through!

A few layers of microfibre on top will help absorb heavy weeing, and plenty of bamboo or hemp under that will hopefully keep everything in. Nappies by Minki also sell some fabrics like funky fleece to make nappies with, and PUL i think too. Good luck!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat