hf1

Smelly m/f inserts???

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Smelly m/f inserts???

Postby Jenni&Babes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi all, my inserts have started to smell :( Could it be I'm not using enough powder? I was worried I was using too much so now use only a table spoon which gets them clean but maybe isn't getting all the wee out? They smell fine until I put them on him and then the first wee makes them smell really strong of urine! :?

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Definately s0und like build up.

D0 y0u d0 a c0ld rinse first bef0re the full wash?

I would give them a c0ld rinse and a wash and then keep rinsing a g00d few times. Try t0 take a l00k at the water in the machine and if y0u see suds then keep rinsing.

I always d0 a c0ld rinse, f0ll0wed by a 60 quick wash, f0ll0wed by an extra rinse and every n0w and again a c0uple 0f extra rinses. This seems t0 suit my washer best (it isn't that great s0 I can't seem t0 get away with a 40 wash).

I recently had a pr0blem with p00py smells and ended up giving my nappies a really g00d wash with l0ts 0f p0wder f0ll0wed by rinses after rinse, they smelt much better f0r it. Maybe I wasn't using en0ugh p0wder???

H0pe this helps.

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks! Atm I do them on the longest cycle which has a pre-wash. I might try a rinse first, then a quick wash, then an extra rinse and spin then. I wash at 40 and then 60 every few washes...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Just a tip - never use quickwash as it won't remove the dirt from your clothes/nappies...

I suggest doing a wash with the full amount of bio - e.g. Ariel, then rinse and rinse and rinse... That should clear it...

Normally my wash routine goes:
a) rinse out the conditioner bit of the detergent drawer
b) Cold Rinse cycle
c) Full wash cycle with an extra rinse. Use a handful of soda crystals and 1/2 tablespoon of detergent (whether surcare or ariel) - Put a generous splosh (1-2 tablespoons) of white vinegar in the conditioner compartment.
d)Dry!

Since I've been adding the cold pre-rinse, and adding the vinegar I've not had any problems with smells...

HTH

Steph

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:28 pm

I had this problem when I used non-bio powder and when I washed at 40.
I have to wash at 60 and use a good scoop of bio or they just don't get fully clean and then they smell. I also do a cold rinse first.

I also had a problem with really strong ammonia smells too. This was due to using a cheap own brand powder which left a horrible residue on everything and took me ages to get out. I've gone back to Ariel Bio now and all is fine.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Sh0uld just clarify, its n0t a quickwash, its the n0rmal wash with 'speedwash' selected!!! My washer takes ab0ut 1hr 45 mins t0 d0 a full wash :o s0 I d0 all my washes like this n0w.

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:42 pm

Right ok thanks girls! I am using non-bio because my eldest has sensitive skin so I'll get some bio just for the nappies. I'll have a go at doing a rinse first then a full cycle at 60 then...

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:45 pm

i actually find that i get less of a build up using MORE bio powder than i was, as it also seems to rinse out easier. i dont understand it,m but it seems to be working for us
cold rinse, 1 bold tablet (used to only use a half), 40 degree 'short' wash (my machine also has a setting that makes any standard 100 year wash a little bit shorter...tho my quickwash option is crap), 2 extra rinses

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:27 am

We rarely have problems with smells. I always do a cold rinse first and then a normal 40 degree wash with an extra rinse selected. I use one tablet of Bold 2 in 1 and this seems to get them nice and clean and smelling nice.

Every now and then I do a 60 wash and sometimes do a wash with 2 tablets to really get them clean

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat