hf1

Nursery and cloth nappies

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Nursery and cloth nappies

Postby beffys » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Ella's nursery is usually good with her cloth bum, but I'm hacked off today. She's only in Mondays and Tuesdays now and I go to office Monday then work from home Tuesday.

She was changed at nursery only TWICE today between 7am and about 3pm, one of which was a dirty nappy about lunch time, which she was in for god knows how long. Her trousers have been changed to the spare pair in her bag as she was obviously sodden more than once.

I find it completely disgusting tbh! :evil: DH drops her off tomorrow, but he won't complain properly to them. He won't get across just how unacceptable that is.

My avatar
MaryMoon
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Nursery and cloth nappies

Postby MaryMoon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:31 pm

You need to speak to them about it and sooner rather than later. It is their responsibility when she is in their care to make sure that her needs are being met and that includes making sure she has clean/dry nappies. If they are working within their ratios then I don't think there is any excuse not to have changed her nappy more than once in that time. Am feeling very :x on your behalf :hug:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:37 pm

:x i would be fuming too. i would have a word with them. :hug:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:58 pm

I worked at the nursery where DD went when we had a similar problem and I went in and spoke to the manager who was also my boss...it was very difficult but its completly unaceptable! Maybe you could ring them and tell them just how unaceptable that is...

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:38 pm

The exact same thing has happened to Nell at nursery on 2 consecutive days :shock: :evil:

I've tried to be nice about how completely CR@P in general they are when it comes to nappy changing, but I think I'm also going to have to have a word with the manager as I know she is generally good.

Nells nursery have a habit of doing nappy changes at set times - this was about 11am, 2pm and 5pm. I complained about her being in her first nappy of the day too long - often from 6.30am, ie over 4 hours. They DID do her first nappy change earlier but then left a long gap later in the day :x

As for the state some of her soiled nappies come home in - I don't even want to start on that one :roll:

Hope you get it sorted.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks. I may ring and ask to talk to the manager tomorrow or get her to phone me back if she's unavailable. Will check with DH first what they say when he drops her off tomorrow. It's only happened once before and they were much better after that. Her first morning nappy she tend to get really wet as well. She gets 5 nappies in her change bag each day and I've asked them before to change her around every 2 hours and straight away anytime she's dirty. We change her a lot more when she's home just on the basis that you know she needs changed, you can tell when a nappy gets nearly saturated and not because it starts leaking onto out clothing! A dry fresh nappy is obviously going to be more comfortable I think. :babyrolleyes: It just really dissapoints me to get home and find only 2 nappies in her nappy bag. Poor little mite. :( When we were home I asked her if she wanted changed and a new nappy and she started nodding her head profusely and lay straight down on the floor beside me. :hohoho: Usually you have to chase her about a bit.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 am

beffys wrote:When we were home I asked her if she wanted changed and a new nappy and she started nodding her head profusely and lay straight down on the floor beside me. :hohoho: Usually you have to chase her about a bit.

Poor little soul :hug: Definitely have a word with the manager. DD doesnt go to nursery but when friends/relatives have her the odd day i always remind them she needs changing every 2/3 hours and straight away if she dirties, i know people who keep sposies on their children for 6 hours plus (in the day) :shock: :x :evil:

I worry about this if Amber was to start nursery :-?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:33 am

We actually get away with using 3-4 nappies in the daytime, and its rare that any of those would be soaked through (I dont think Molly drinks that much, but she seems to get enough) so between 7am and 3pm she would only wear 2 or 3 nappies.

However if your LO needs changed more than that, then they should be doing it. You are paying them good money and they should be taking care of your child in the same manner you would. A friend of mine says the nursery she uses only does 2 nappy changes per day on most children, but then they are all in sposies and they last longer. Tell then how many nappies you expect to be used in a day, but clothes changes are to be expected anyway and most nurseries here ask for at least 3 full changes of clothes every day. Sounds a lot to me, but then nurseries are messy places :roll:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Did you get an answer from the nursery? I change Ben more frequently than some, but sometimes the nappies are dry so get done back up again.

Every 2 to 3 hours I think would be the norm, even to check. Do they provide you with a record sheet of when she has been changed or checked? If not you can ask for one, if they try to refuse ask them about their policy of communication with parents.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat