hf1

help please new to cloth

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

help please new to cloth

Postby g murphy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:30 pm

Please help me I have been given a bag of cloth nappies by a friend but i am a bit stuck!! I would love your advice and views on them (and any other nappy advice!). I have the following:
Motherease Birth to potty
Motherease Sandys
Under the nile
Nappies by minkie pocket
Kushies ultra
babybeehinds
Stuffables by Naturebabies
Bambino mio

Also kushies and baby behinds wraps :lol:

Thanks Gemma xxx

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: help please new to cloth

Postby Frances » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the tree!

It sounds like you've got a fab selection of nappies to start with - is there anything in particular you'd like to ask? What I would say is that Minki nappies are great at night, boosted with bamboo or hemp, and I can highly recommend wool as a breathable cover for your fitted nappies. Have a look around the board and you'll find out lots about most of the brands you've mentioned.

We're always happy to help :)

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Frances wrote:Hi and welcome to the tree!

It sounds like you've got a fab selection of nappies to start with - is there anything in particular you'd like to ask? What I would say is that Minki nappies are great at night, boosted with bamboo or hemp, and I can highly recommend wool as a breathable cover for your fitted nappies. Have a look around the board and you'll find out lots about most of the brands you've mentioned.

We're always happy to help :)

I was just wondering about which were the most absorbant and which needed more padding etc. and if there was anything about the care and washing etc of the nappies. I know some people recommend putting bicarbonate of soda in the washer but i just wondered why and where to buy it? ooh and also do i wet or dry pail???

thanks
xxx

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Out of all the nappies you've listed, I find Baby Beehinds the most absorbent, although I haven't tried them all. I know that lots of people on here like Sandys. In general, you'll probably find that bamboo and hemp nappies are more absorbent than cotton.

I always wash at 60 and dry on the line when I can (although some people wash at 40, or alternate 40 and 60. I recommend 60 until your baby is 6 months old for safety, in case any bugs remain). I use one Bold 2-in-1 tablet per wash; you'll find you need much less detergent than usual. Avoid detergent with softeners; Bold is fine as it's clay-based. Never use conditioner as it will coat your nappies so they repel liquid. If you do tumble, tumble on low to prolong the life of your nappies.

I do a cold rinse with a tablespoon of bicarb every month or so to strip the nappies before their usual wash. All supermarkets sell it in the baking section.

Dry pail!!! I find that stains come out fine, and there's nothing worse than fishing nappies out of a bucket of pooey water :puke:

Oh yes, and watch your PayPal - there are a lot of naughty ladies on here who will encourage you to buy amazingly gorgeous nappies - I wager that you'll have a completely different collection of nappies in a month or so :giggle:

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Frances wrote:
Oh yes, and watch your PayPal - there are a lot of naughty ladies on here who will encourage you to buy amazingly gorgeous nappies - I wager that you'll have a completely different collection of nappies in a month or so :giggle:

WSS!!!!!!!!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:37 am

What a lovely friend!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:15 pm

I just want to say congrats on your decision to go cloth and offer the piece of advice I found most helpful

Don't expect too much, if one doesn't work and it puts you off don't feel bad and most of all enjoy it, whatever you decide!

The first time I tried a cloth nappy on Austin it didn't fit and I almost ended up in tears and sold most of my stash. I don't regret what I did but I'm glad I spoke to the ladies on here because they gave me the confidence to try again and we are now well on our way to completing our second full day in cloth (we don't do nights as I havent got any night nappies yet and I don't have anything I'm confident would last us through the night). It can seem overwhelming but if you take it slowly and just ask when you get stuck it really does get easier :mrgreen:
P.S. we use blueberry onesize minkee pockets :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:30 pm

That is a fab selection. All I would say is that the Minki will probably be quite bulky so is good for using at night as you can add lots of absorbency. I have not heard very good review about Kushies, so don't be surprised or disappointed if you don't get on with those. Otherwise, have fun trying them out :D and come back and ask more questions if you need to

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat