hf1

They are so not giving unbiased pros and cons!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

They are so not giving unbiased pros and cons!

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

So I had to pop into town briefly today and whilst I was out, fed Oliver in the baby room of one of the well known chemists and picked up their in-house magasine, as you do, in the hope of some money off vouchers.

I turned to the page on nappies and was amused by their information on reusable nappies...

Disposables: the pros...
They are quick to get on and off
They are very absorbant
They are still the most popular

...and the cons
They are pricier
They create lots of waste

Reusables: the pros...
They can be environmentally friendly
They are cheaper in the long run

...and the cons
They need changing more often
They can be fiddly

So, it is just me or are their cons for reusables completely rubbish? It made me laugh though...
Also, the comment that disposables are still the most popular annoyed me, as I'd love it if more brick-and-mortar shops sold reusables, as I'm sure more people would try them if they saw they they were easily accessible that way too!

Kate x

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: They are so not giving unbiased pros and cons!

Postby 2climbingboys » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 pm

The comment that puzzled me is that they need changing more often - I only change Blake's every 3-4 hours!

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:47 pm

I know, I don't think they need changed more often either.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:51 pm

The cons about disposables shout right out to me as my priorities in choosing cloth, never mind all the chemicals in disposables. Cloth just seems much simpler and better to me because of the various fabrics used in them though. Don't think cloth nappies need changed more either.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:00 pm

i changed more in disps tbh. kept thinking hed pooed cos they stunk! and i wish they stocked them in more shops too cos i would have used them on ds1 and 2 as i had no internet access till i had ds3. cloth is sooooooo much better for many reasons but it gets to me that there are so many anti-cloth people out there. :x dan has not had any problems with cloth at all. no more leaks than i did with disps. in fact i always had problems with poo containment in disps. it would go up his back and he was always sore. i think that might have been down to the chemicals no one told me about till i looked it up on the internet. :(

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

:babyroll: for cloth, but like other's said if that chemist stocked them people would have more choice, at least if it's the one I am thinking of they make very good nappy liners!

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:29 am

:roll: at the end of the day the chemists will make more money selling disposables than cloth, so it is in their interest to promote them more.
I wish there was more cloth (and better cloth than just terries and plastic covers and prefolds) sold in more shops, but I don't expect that will happen soon.
On an aside, there is at least Nature Babycare who do a more eco sposie, which doesn't stink the way the other sposie brands do. Think it is due to their keeping some of the nastier chemicals out.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:40 am

Where do they get the idea that a cloth nappy needs changing more often? I can't always tell if the cloth needs changing, but I can tell imediately if a sposie needs changing. There's no way I change Kacie more in cloth, if anything it's less. And if your using AIO's, pockets or fitteds, they don't take any longer to get on and off. Even my folded terries don't take that much longer to change. Oh and how is the fact sposies are still more popular a pro?

In fact the only pro I can think of for sposies is they take up less room in the nappy bag :giggle:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 am

Like the big supermarkets, the big chemists get an awful lot of revenue from advertising certain big disposable nappy brands, and they sell millions of them every year, so I doubt they are going to promote something like cloth nappies which they would get little revenue from.

Its a shame, Mothercare are selling a big range of cloth nappies online now, a big positive step, if Boots and the like started to sell online and had a small range in their stores and tried to actually properly promote them, Im sure lots more people would actually use them, but as I say, they have to make money and disposables are a big source of income which they wont want to lose :roll:

Oh to win the Lottery and set up and huge store selling fluff and giving people proper information on the high street!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat