hf1

Why do you use cloth?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Why do you use cloth?

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:11 am

I was thinking about this this morning as i was stuffing/folding nappies and although im sure its been asked before i thought it would be interesting to see WHY people use cloth nappies...allergies? Cost? Envirmonetal factor? just becuase they are cute? etc..

With DD we decided to use cloth while i was pregnant becuase we were in a sticky spot financialy and so we bought 15 white BG's while I was still working (before mat leave pay started!!) and used those...they worked well untill she hit 8-9 months old...then i bought some prefolds which where pretty cheap and we used those with pre-loved wraps when the BG's started leaking all the time...I also liked prefolds under wool :)

Then when i got pregnant with Ds we were in a better situation financially (hence why we had another baby!) and I decided to use cloth again but this time it was for different reasons...yes i like the fact i dont throw money away on disp's but that wasnt my reason...I actually think cloth nappies are my hobby and I enjoy it! :oops: :hohoho: I have 'pretty' nappies this time around, i love prints and colours and i just enjoy it! :mrgreen: I also love wool becuase i think it looks sooo cute! :giggle: We think that cloth is much better despite the fact that it costs me more than dips's!! :giggle:

What about you?

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Why do you use cloth?

Postby happytails » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:36 am

At first it was the cost, we got given some to start with and i bought some tots bots too,then i found you lot and now have a whole new stash of scrummy nappies and wool!

I love the fact we are helping the environment and not landfill, i love the fact my baby doesnt stink like the disps! i love knowing that cloth is best for my baby and her skin, no nasty chemicals! And it is my hobby too :oops: im always thinking about them and faffing with my shopping cart, i am the only one that is allowed to stuff the pockets and put them all away :hohoho:

i love the feeling you get when the post person comes with a parcel (or 2!) of fluffy post!!!

Sarah x

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:11 am

I liked the way they looked. And I liked the environmental benefits of cloth and the fact that there are only natural materials next to Iris' skin, not chemicals. I also like the fact that she's different to most other babies because she wears cloth. :oops: :giggle: I was naïve enough to think that cloth would save money, which also appealed. :hohoho:

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:27 am

I started to look into it when i was pregnant as my SIL said see was going to use it- and her dad bought her a full set of bamboozles which have never been worn :roll: and when sam was born deceided to give it a go. We started with bambio mia which did work well initially for us but then discovered tots bots and this site and now cloth is def my hobby :oops: :oops: I love sam cute bum in cloth and wool and have discovered since that he does get v red in sposies and seems to have sensitive skin so there is no going back now- or that is my excuse :giggle:

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 am

As soon as I read about the chemicals in disposables I decided I wanted to use cloth. I just started buying a few pre loved and now I have a very expensive addiction. I love cloth nappies, it is my hobby too!!!!

I love reading about them, buying them, washing them, hanging them on the line, taking photos of them, trying them on my LO, showing them off.... I love everything about them!!!!!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:25 am

My 2 main reasons arecost and being green. however since using cloth i have discovered new benefits like less nappy rash, more breathable, cuter, and of course cnt!

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am

I've never liked the idea of disposables and so when I found out I was pregnant I said I'd be using proper nappies (this was before I found out there's more than just terry squares now!). I got the usual 'yeah right I bet you don't even last a week'. I also liked the fact it would save us money although perhaps not now I've discovered this site :hohoho:

Findlay didn't get home until he was 3 weeks and his first fluffy parcel arrived at 4 weeks and he's been in cloth ever since apart from a couple of weeks he was in hospital seriously ill as I was too stressed to think about nappies. He gets awful nappy rash within hours of putting a sposie on so wonder if he's allergic to something in them?

Since coming on here I'm now addicted to nappies and their wool :wine: I'm planning ahead what embroidery I'm going to get Findlay when I order him more etc and stalking the preloved section in case I find a cute bargain for him. I now stalk the postwoman and rush down the stairs when I see her van at the top of the road in case there is fluffy post for me :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:01 am

I don't know anymore, at first it was environmental concerns and I bought a second hand set of meos and wraps which were great and would have been a very enviro option being second hand. But then I got bitten by the bug and started to buy cute and interesting nappies made from a variety of natural and manmade fabrics and from all over the world, so perhaps not as enviro as I had originally planned. Money was a small factor but not a big one tbh and I don't even know how much I have spent, although now on our second child I am sure it is less than sposies would have been.

There is also an element of being a bit different - I don't really know anyone using cloth (apart from people met on here) and I quite like the reactions I get when people see them :giggle:

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:04 am

I saw an ad for rainbow tots in a parenting magazine when pregnant with Matthew and thought they looked so cute! I didn't know anything about modern real nappies before then.
I looked into it a bit more and decided to definitely go with cloth (though I didn't get those rainbow tots)
My main reason was so there weren't lots of chemicals next to baby's skin.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat