hf1

Why do you use cloth?

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Why do you use cloth?

Postby tanya » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 am

I researched them when pg and decided I wanted to give it a go. I was so close to buying a Little Lambs BTP pack, which I am very glad I didn't do. We wanted to use them as we were going to have a limited income as DH wasn't going to be working and staying at home f/t with Bella and we didn't want to be paying £6 - £10 per week on sposies. So it was originally to save money :giggle:

The funny things is my DH thinks we have still only spent around £300 on our stash :hohoho: At lest that is what he has told his work colleague. I reckon its nearer £500, and when we've sold them all, it will probably be fairly close to £300, but I so nearly laughed in DH's face last night when he told me that!

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:10 pm

1. Cost.
2. Persistent nagging conscience about the amount of rubbish I was generating, they seemed like such a waste.
3. I absolutely love having nice underwear for me, and hated the idea of my daughter being in disposables which looked awful, felt horrible to touch and which stank as soon as she weed in them. Of course I didn't realise how badly they stank until I switched to cloth.
4. Disposable shopping was awful, having to take the car rather than walk, impulse buying extra stuff when I'd only gone for nappies, having to go out in the rain. Now most of my fluffy shopping comes to the door and I am lucky enough to have a fluff shop a few miles away if I fancy a fluffy trip.
5. Seeing a pretty nappy under a party dress is just the best thing ever.
6. Knowing that even if I do spend out on nappies, I can recoup some of the cost, and increase the environmental benefits by selling them on when I'm done with them. Once Blythe potty trains I'm going to buy a piece of silver jewellery with her cashed-in stash, or something else nice for me. Show me the disposable that gives you anything back, except for loyalty points.

Great thread!

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:27 pm

I wanted to try and do my bit for the enviroment. I used to shudder at paying £6 a pack for pampers too. I also wanted to be different :lol:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:41 pm

I got started for the usual economic and ecological reasons, and DS had fairly boring white terry shaped nappies, but boy were they cute! I was planning on using them for DD as well but started looking around a bit whilst pg and was astonished at how much more choice there was just 3 years later (colours, fabrics, styles), so I ended up selling my old ones and buying new. She had fairly standard fitteds for size 1s but when we were ready to move into size 2s I started diversifying and it turned into a full-blown addiction :giggle: :wine:. I would so never look back!!!

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm not even able to use them yet (not due till november) but i think my addiction has started early. :pregnant:

it all started with a visit to Kiddicare in peterborough (i had considered cloth before the visit but didn't realise how cute i'd find them)
We started out looking at buying onelife, and some totsbots AIO's, then i liked the look of the MEOS wraps so started looking towards them instead. focussing on one size btp nappies.

now i'm consoled with the fact that not all nappies will work with each child - obviously they're all unique in shape and wetting habits so now i'm going towards the few of many types approach.
i'm buying a mixture of shaped, flat, AIO, sized and a variety of wraps too, some will be new, some pre-loved. but my total budget for start up is £200 (and get £25 back from council) so i'll be keeping my eyes open for bargains.

our main motivation was towards cost, chemicals, environment - in that order!

- my salary will be a whooping 2/3's less when on mat leave so i was worried about finding money for sposies.
- then i read about the harsh, yet to determine if theres a long running issue, unregulated chemicals in nappies which worried me!
- then i remembered our bin gets emptied every fortnight - yuck! two weeks worth of sposies festering in a wheelie bin doesn't appeal to me at home so why should it be ok in landfill! for infinity! it's just moving the location of the problem.

i only know one other person (hubby's work colleague) who uses cloth and she swears by BG. Chatting with my cousing the other day she didn't even realise you could still get cloth, the thought hadn't even crossed her mind, needless to say she was startled when she saw a few of the cool nappies on the websites!
Oops! sorry for the essay! :giggle:

My avatar
Steph
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Steph » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:03 pm

I think I saw an ad in a baby mag for tots and I liked the look and thought of them Did some research and decided to buy a pack of tots bots. Did a little more research found a different forum and discovered wn. I really liked the environmental impact too and also thought I'd save money :hohoho: Then I found here and all the other lovely nappies :giggle:

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi,

I'd been interested in using cloth nappies before Oliver was born and bought a BTP pack of Bambino Mio prefolds and wraps. We'd agreed that we would start using the cloth after a few weeks when things had settled down.

I chose cloth when :pregnant: because it was the green thing to do (although TBH, I wasn't aware of many statistics around them) but when we'd doubled our waste after Oliver arrived, I knew I had to get way from disposables.

It was my one breastfeeding suport group friends I have to thank for getting into cloth properly, as she showed me her stash and lent them to me for a few weeks. Unfortunately, I now only have myself to blame for being addicted.

Kate x

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:04 pm

With Ty it was the fact his bottom was getting really sore, to bleeding stage no matter what cream or disp I used, would be fine for wee bit then flare up again. I expected DH to laugh when told him we were switching to cloth, like most did but no he was very pro for Ty's sake also enviromental reasons, I just remind him of that fact when he moans about me buying more nappies :giggle: .

With Roxy it was the reason plus I have now definately been bitten by bug and love my fluffy nappies and getting fluffy post plus like others I do like being a bit different.

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:00 pm

I heard that cloth bummed babies potty train sooner and as Jon was nearly 3 and had to be forced to wear pants to even consider using the potty I decided cloth might be a good idea. Less time changing nappies has got to be good.

The deciding factor was realising that lots of disposables not only means constantly emptying the bins in the house (always with a manky stink when I did it) but an overflowing wheely bin outside. Our bin is also emptied fortnightly and in the hot weather the bin was right in front of the window and I could not have the window open for the smell :puke: There was one binbag of hosehold rubbish and the rest was dog poo and nappies! :puke: :puke: :puke:

Constantly having to buy them also annoyed me. Especially when I sold my car and DP took his to work so I would have to balence them on the buggy :babyrolleyes:

Money was a small Factor but not important.
Couldn't care less about landfill but it is a plus point
LO's bum couldn't care less what I put it in!
I now know that :bf: poo is better contained but didn't know that when i started out!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat