hf1

Are all cloth nappies like this?

My avatar
The Toy Lady
Clothie
Clothie

Are all cloth nappies like this?

Postby The Toy Lady » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:43 pm

Hello ladies, I've joined this site for some much needed advice.

I have a 4 month old son who, until now has been in disposables, however I really want to use cloth so ordered a small pack of 5 recently to see what they are like.

They arrived yesterday, I have washed them but they took forever to dry & I resorted to 90minutes in the tumble dryer in the end :shock:

Also they are sooo bulky they don't look comfortable & appear to restrict his leg movement.

I'm happy with the absorbancy though as he hasn't needed changing any more frequently than with the disposables so far.

What I want to know did I just make a bad choice or are all cloth nappies like this?

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Are all cloth nappies like this?

Postby Mareth » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:48 pm

What did you order?

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:55 pm

What make are they?
Some nappies take longer to dry than others. The bulkyness tends to depend on the make.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:01 pm

clairelana wrote:What make are they?
Some nappies take longer to dry than others. The bulkyness tends to depend on the make.

WSS. Some brands are slimmer than others but they won't be as slim as a disposable as there's no nasty chemicals to absorb any of the wee. Also some fabrics take longer to dry than others, bamboo and hemp take longer than cotton for example. Microfibre is the quickest drying but isn't great for heavy wetters. The bulkiness of a cloth nappy does take some getting used to after using disps but I haven't found any evidence that cloth nappies impede leg movement in any way though. Infact they actually help with hip development in younger babies.

My avatar
chezalan
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby chezalan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:07 pm

As everyone else depends on nappys you have bought.
Anais is a very little girl and i hate bulky nappys and we get on fab with weenotions a12(bit pricy if starting out maybe) Itty Bitty D lish......fab fab nappys ], also used in the past and loved bumgenius sized or btp and ss blueberry

All above nappy dry quick i think.

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:36 pm

I hated the first nappies that i bought. They were very cheap from ebay and looked awful, were huge and needed a wrap which made it even bigger! Then i did some reaearch, read as many reviews as possible and eventually found a whole new world of cloth nappies that I love. You have definatly come to the right place for advice. :D

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi there Julie :idea: (nice to see you here too :wink: )

What nappies have you got hun? Cloth nappies are generally bulkier than disposables.

How is the little fella?

jan x

My avatar
The Toy Lady
Clothie
Clothie

Postby The Toy Lady » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Thanks for your replies ladies.

Hello again Jan....blimey it's a small world!

Max is 4, almost 5, months old & the nappies are Little Lambs bamboo and, like I said, the absorbancey is great maybe i just need to get used to the bulkiness & drying time - it's a shame the sun isn't out!

The thing is I wanted to buy more nappies if these were ok but now I'm not sure what to do - hence the question are all cloth nappies the same?

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Bamboo will take a little longer to dry than say cotton and alot longer than microfibre, but it is a more absorbent material so tends to be less bulky.

Unfortunately you will need to get used to a bit of bulkiness, no cloth nappy is as slim as a disposable but I think that adds to the cuteness. And the drying time can be a problem - only if you don't have enough nappies :wink:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat