hf1

Are all cloth nappies like this?

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Are all cloth nappies like this?

Postby becsom » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:24 pm

The Toy Lady wrote: hence the question are all cloth nappies the same?

Definitely not!!

I only started using cloth when Nell was about 4months old and tried out loads of different types before I settled on the ones I really liked (or rather loved :oops: ).

I have one LL bamboo which I quite like but I definitely prefer pockets eg Fuzzi Bunz, Blueberry Side-snaps, Weenotions Side snaps, Bumgenius, etc etc. What I like about pockets is that you can stuff them with loads of different combinations to suit your baby/water hardness/drying options. I tend to use a microfibre insert (quick drying) plus either a bamboo square (folded into 3) or an Easy Peasy hemp insert (slow drying but very absorbant).

Sorry if I've confused you, but there really is sooo much choice out there :wink:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:27 pm

It is a small world indeed Julie :giggle: :giggle:

Not all cloth nappies are the same!

There are essentially 3 different 'categories' of cloth nappy:

1. The 2 part, consists of a nappy and a cover (like the little lambs you have)

2. A pocket nappy, consists of a waterproof outer stitched to an inner layer to create a pocket that is then stuffed with inserts to create the absorbant bit (this is my fave system!)

3. the All in one / All in 2, consists of a cloth nappy that is all stitched together and is put on and taken off in 1 piecec, no seperate covers or inserts (this is the all in one), or the all in 2 which is a waterproof outer bit with the absorbant inner bits that are fastened to the outer with poppers.. (not a hugely technical description but trying to keep it simple :wink: )

jan x

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:35 pm

You're like me, Jan - you don't count flats as a proper nappy either. :giggle:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Soupdragon wrote:You're like me, Jan - you don't count flats as a proper nappy either. :giggle:

:giggle:

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:52 pm

Hi Toy Lady,
Like you i'm very much a noobie to the cloth world
Only i don't have my test subject yet - arrival due in november :pregnant:

i've never used sposies (well i did on my younger brother 20+ years ago) so i've spend hours researching the different brands of nappies, types of cloth, absorbency etc.

in the end i've created a collection of new and preloved nappies (see Classifieds) of a total of 8 different sorts and between 3-5 nappies of each sort. they don't need to be expensive, one of the benefits of the used nappies is they're already primed (had the recommended no. of washes to build up the absorbency) and if you don't like them they can easily be sold on. there's loads of great deals to be had.

have a good read on the forums and classifieds and see if you can spot something which suits yours and you little ones needs. for example is he a heavy wetter etc.

Good Luck and enjoy - Cloth nappies may well become a hobby! :giggle:

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:58 pm

For quick drying and slim fitting it might be worth trying pocket nappies.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:24 am

I agree, if you don't like the big bum look (a tiny sposie bum looks all wrong to me :giggle:) and want them to dry quickly you're probably best off with pockets - Fuzzis or BumGenius, and maybe some Blueberries because they're lovely! I'd use the Little Lambs for nights; I've always found a fitted with a good wrap (Airflow for example) the most reliable, never any leaks. 5 is a good number for night nappies, that way it doesn't matter if they take 2 days to dry :lol:. You'll find plenty to choose from here, and all the advice you need! :wine:

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat