hf1

what else do i need...?

My avatar
diz
Clothie
Clothie

what else do i need...?

Postby diz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:19 pm

O.K... so i'm due in 3 weeks with my first.

so far my small/new born stash includes

Nappies
2 x fuzzies
1 x bitti
1 x cute tooshies
2 x swaddlebees AIO
3 x swaddlebees NB OCV
1 x Weenotions NL
1 x weenotion AIO
1 x easy peasy
1 x bum genius
2 x little lamb (bamboo and terry)
1 x kissaluvs
1 x mothercare smart
1 x ellas house
12 muslin squares

Wraps
1 x weenotions XS
1 x weenotions S (which looks massive :giggle: )
3 x tots wrap size 0
2 x mother-ease (1 x airflow and 1 x rikki which both look massive although they are size S)

Wipes
10 x bamboo wipes
20 x bamboo/fleece wipes

Various boosters that came with the new nappies i purchased but a lot of the preloved nappies were sold with out boosters so i purchased some weenotions ones
3 x hemp fleece
3 x bamboo toweling
3 x cotton velour
3 x microfiber

tons of flushable liners
3 x nappi nippas
fairy non bio
and also some medium nappies to be going on with.

what else do i need...? what are wet bags? what is dry pailing, do i need to do it...??? what about solutions to clean babys bum..? How about storing all of these nappies... the draws are over flowing :giggle: :giggle: should i soak dirty nappies..?

I feel although i have the nappies i still don't have a clue!

Any recommendations - must buys - extra things - general suggestions, useful tips would be gratefully received!!
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Last edited by diz on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: what else do i need...?

Postby rachel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Wow that's some stash you already have :giggle: I don't think you need much else. I usually dry pail my nappies and don't bother with soaking. If they are really dirty I have a prewash cycle on the washing machine which I use first. Good luck with the pending arrival and have fun using all your new fluff :D

My avatar
diz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby diz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm

so what do you use to store dirty nappies in if your dry pailing...?

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:13 pm

To dry pail you just need a lidded bucket/bin I use a tesco's swing bin and it doesn't let any smells out and is big enough to hold almost two days of nappies. I do have a mothercare nappy pail too and use that for pooey ones because the lid is tighter. I never soak the nappies in the bucket, just put them on a cold pre-wash first.

You could use a large wet bag to pail as well. A small wetbag is also really useful for when you're out to store the dirty nappies.

I just use plain water on my wipes to wash Poppy and then i have some foaming wipes solution that i add to the wipes for Noah. I won't be using any products on Poppy's skin until i really need to. I find that if i don't use a wipe solution when changing Noah's nappy he gets sore so he really needs it.

You could probably do with some fleece liners to add to the nappies that aren't lined like your sbov and muslin squares to keep babies bottom dry. They let the wee pass through and then hold it away from the skin.

I keep all my nappies in baskets, i have small baskets for liners and wipes and two large ones for nappies.

hth

Carolyn xx

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:17 pm

That is an impressive stash - bamboo sandys are great too if you see any of those cheap! I think treehuggermums may still have xs's for £5.40 each.

You could use anything really to dry pail in - I find nappy buckets tiny and just use a big plain white swing lid bin from ikea ( I do a nappy wash every other day). I also have a little bucket that I use to rinse poopy nappies over using cold water the shower head (I then poor the dirty water down the toilet).

I just use chamomile tea as a wipe solution - it is fab for the purpose.

I have a fab door storage thing from ebay that Louise linked too - a link to it is below:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JML-Door-Storage- ... 911.c0.m14

diz wrote:I feel although i have the nappies i still don't have a clue!

I felt like that about buggies, car seats (everything baby connected really) when I was pregnant with Toby - it will make sense when you start using it all.

My avatar
diz
Clothie
Clothie

Postby diz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Thanks Rach, paintedclaws and 2climbingboys :hug:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:34 pm

I'd recommend 4-6 dedicated night nappies (we used bamboo Little Lambs but there are lots of options - Bumhuggers are great, and fully fleece-lined which is nice)... the first 6 or 8 weeks you'll probably need to change your LO during the night so it's not so important (so many poos! :giggle:) but once you get past that stage you'll want some nappies that you know can last through the night. :wink:

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:47 am

Congratulations on the pending arrival.

i'm in much the same position as you, i've got 14 weeks to go :pregnant: and my stash of various types of nappies, wraps etc is ever growing, (clocked up 50 nappies so far some sized, mainly BTP) and until our little one is here, i've no idea which ones will fit best.

Do you know what your having? we don't and it has made colour choices for nappies difficult :hohoho:

My avatar
alemum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby alemum » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:36 am

wow sounds like you got it pretty much covered. With the air flow wraps we got some XS and although they fit the same in weight they are a snugger fit as the around the waist and legs are better for smaller babies, our Ale was born 6.7 and they lasted her until about 4-5 months old. If ur baby is under say around 8lbs when its born it may be better to swap them.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat