hf1

My personal opinion about cloth nappies

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: My personal opinion about cloth nappies

Postby 2climbingboys » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:29 am

I think previous posters have responded to each of your points.

I send my child to nursery in pocket nappies as they are just the same to change as disposables (and take no longer at all). However, luckily the nursery nurses there are absolutely excellent and seemed willing to even change terries when I mentioned Blake would be attending in cloth nappies.

I actually converted to cloth with Blake during Toby's potty training as cloth pull ups made him feel wet and really helped the process, so I am totally baffled by your comments about cloth hindering potty training. Using them for this period made me realise they are more efficient, easy to wash, keep them cooler and do not hinder walking - so I totally swapped over with Blake. I wish I had sooner now. I hated seeing all those disposables in the bin, especially last summer with 2 in nappies and them absolutely stinking only being collected fortnightly.

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:39 am

My only point to make is that you aren't paid to have an opinion about how the children in your care are diapered, you are paid to look after the children following the parents instruction. Those parents pay enough money to use whatever product they wish.

If you struggle to get out of the nursey due to time constraints of changing nappies then you don't have high enough staffing levels and that would definately concern me.

You've already been supplied with plenty of information to correct the ill advised statements you made so I won't add anything else.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:04 am

The other posters have replied to your posts very well and I dont want to repeat too much of it. I find it very sad that you would come onto a cloth nappy forum and make such a post without even intending to stick around and have an informed discussion. You have your views and thats fine, but they are largely either misinformed or outdated and you have no interest to even learn more about cloth nappies so that you can inform your clients at nursery correctly. I sincerely hope that you do not express these views to parents at your nursery, simply because you do not care to take the time to gain an understanding of what you're actually talking about :-?

Disposables were not invented as a "healthier" alternative to cloth nappies (because they certainly are not). They were invented, around the same time as formula milk, in order to get mums out to work after the world wars in order to re-build the economy and replace many of the men who had died. They were "easier" since cloth nappies at the time required a lot more energy (soaking, time-consuming hand-washing, boiling, ironing etc) on the part of the mother, not because every generation upto then couldn't walk properly because of the amount of fabric around their bums.

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: at you taking 20 minutes to change a cloth nappy! Thats either a complete lie or you're not very well practised in your job as a nursery nurse. And if changing children using cloth nappies takes far too much time, then as the others have said, I'd be very concerened about your staffing levels :shock: I find that disposables smell far worse than cloth nappies - in sposies, the smell is almost immediate due to the chemical reaction, with cloth, its only if the nappy is left on for far too long or if they need to be "stripped" (which is something most cloth using mums should know about, I wouldn't expect you to know about it though)

Did you expect to make your post here (and probably other cloth nappy forums) and for all of us to go "Oh! she's right! I will have to stop using cloth nappies as they are clearly so detrimental to my child! Thank you for the new information!" :babyrolleyes:

Believe it or not, we have all made informed choices, which is a lot more than can be said for yourself. We have done our research and we even have the experience to back it up!! I'd really love it if you could come back and discuss this further, as we really are a lovely bunch of people and don't intend to slag or offend you. Its possible to have a meaningful debate about nappies but you have to be willing to open your mind a little too. Many of us may have had similar opions as yourself before we started using cloth and through discussion we have learnt far more about it, and IMO we're better off for it :wink: No blue bins full of stinky nappies in summer...savings of hundreds of pounds for each child...no chemicals on our kiddie's bums...a little help towards our eco-conscience...and cute nappies to show off and love :D

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rachel » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:14 am

I don't even know what to say in reponse to this other than you are obvioulsy not very well informed about cloth, because if you were you would realise that most of what you said was very lame.

What on earth did people do before disposables????? :x

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:14 am

Interesting perception but i don't consider the opinions very well founded.
I wonder if she has children herself?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:15 am

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
greenferret
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby greenferret » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:17 am

I agree with what others have posted in response and would just say MY child, MY choice. A childcare worker would never think of criticising/advising a parent on what clothes/underwear to dress their child in - why are nappies any different?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:18 am

time to add a few new smileys? ;)

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:21 am

Velvetsteph wrote:time to add a few new smileys? ;)

Agreed Steph! I think they should go back under their bridge :mrgreen:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat