hf1

My personal opinion about cloth nappies

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: My personal opinion about cloth nappies

Postby rhead » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:51 pm

Surely a better approach on a forum like this one would be to say "Here's my personal opinion about cloth nappies, based on my experiences - what do you people like about them? Do you have any suggestions that might make it easier for us to use them (e.g., recommendations for easy-to-use brands that we'd like our mothers who use cloth to buy if possible, and tips on where they might be able to find them new or preloved for cheap prices)? Is there anything the parents can do to ensure that there are no disagreeable smells [not everyone knows about stripping nappies - i.e., doing a special wash cycle with lots of extra rinses to get rid of detergent buildup]?"

Yes, there are eco-disposables that don't stay in landfills for as long as normal diapers, but they're MUCH more expensive and are still responsible for putting raw untreated sewage into the ground :-?. How many of your parents shell out for them? Any?? How many bin-bags full of nappies do you put out every week? Wouldn't it be nicer if you could just shove the used nappies in a wetbag and send them home for the parents to deal with instead of stockpiling a stinking mountain of them, especially in the hot months? :wink:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:30 pm

Firstly may I say :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: to all the regular, nontrolly, members who have put up an outstanding arguement, and fought our corner excellently, and hopefully shown any people who are reading this and thinking of using cloth that you post is a pathetic attack on cloth nappies that has no leg to stand on!

Secondly, :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: to put up such a ridiculous post, you are either simply idiotic, or very naive, I go with the first seeing as you seem to have gone out of your way to make this post, you should at least have your facts straight, which you certainly don't!

I feel no need to go over all the points that you have got completely wrong as all the other lovely, well-educated, and envronmentally friendly ladies here have already done an excellent job of that.

The bottom line is, there are thousands of members on here, most have used or do use cloth nappies, all of these families have helped our environment, their children are no worse off for it, infact are probably better off not having all the horrid chemicals around them, and we're are happy to do it, so by all means let this be your only post and leave us to help people who want to better our planet!!!!!

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:33 pm

Hmm, nursery nurse, I have to say you havent been well informed in modern cloth nappies, or trained particulary well if it takes you 20 minutes to change one - Im actually pretty confused by how it could possibly take that long :-?

Im not going into a debate on the benefits of cloth nappies - as a parent I have made an informed choice to use cloth, rather than just going with the convenience of a disposable nappy, and honestly, it isnt up to you to question any parents reasons for doing so.

If you feel you cannot offer the same level of care to a child in a cloth nappy compared to a child in a disposable, due to time constraints or your own personal dislike of them, then I think its time to reconsider working with babies/toddlers who will no doubt be using them - have you actually mentioned your obvious dislike of them to the parents themselves, or to your manager who I am sure would be delighted to hear your opinion and may be able to give you a bit more training so it doesnt take 20 minutes to change one (sorry, I just cant get over that :-? )

Im sure we would all be delighted for you to ask us questions about cloth nappies, and we would happily provide you with proper information, from parents who actually use them.

Sadie xx

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:29 pm

Hello Nursery Nurse,

I personally am highly worried that if the nursery you work in is not working to ratios 100% of the time, please could you let me know their OFSTED registration number so I can report them. This is completely unacceptable of any registered setting, when all the others are within their ratios.

As for nappies taking longer to change I do not understand why changing any nappy would take so long, I am assuming you follow the correct nursery procedures for changing all nappies!
including ...
1) tell a member of staff you are leaving the room
2) gloves and apron on
3) new paper on the changing mat (if not already put on my member of staff previously
4) child lying down, nappy off, nappy on, dirty disposable in yellow waste sack or cloth nappy in appropriate recepticle.
5) disinfect changing surfaces
6) protective clothing disposed of
7) wash hands and return to room

So whatever nappy used doesn't take any longer to change. Would you believe there are nurseries around who only provide and use cloth nappies on the children in their care. If as you say it takes so long, there would never be anything done.

As I am sure you are aware the EYFS has more statements in it about working with parents and respecting the parents and child's wishes than previous documentation so whatever the parents decide about which nappies to use you do need to respect.

There are so many other points which you raised which I do believe have been answered.

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby moonfruit » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 pm

Hello Nursery Nurse

I would like to ccho some of the things that previous posters have mentioned. In particular your establishments lack of adherence to the ratios and your obviously lacking training. I now work in FE and HE and teach on a number of early years courses, all leading to practicioner(sp, sorry tired mummy :oops: ) status from level 1 to Foundation Degree and BEd. I would be extremely concerned if I were to visit your establishment in my capacity as Lecturer or in my other hat of inspector. Could you please PM me with your establishment registration number as obviously you may being forced to work under these conditions but this is not acceptable. Each child is an individual and the ratios are there for protection of both child and EYP.

As a parent I would be extremely concerned about your attitude as working in conjuction with parents wishes, is as I am sure you are aware paramount, and this must be something that is addressed. I work in close liason with C&G, CACHE and OFSTED and all would be appalled at your views and experiences. Perhaps you are in the wrong profession? A visit to Connexions may be in order as an early years worker never begrudes the time they have with each child in their care.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Hehe. I am so disappointed that you won't be back to read all these fab responses!

I am so glad my children go to a nice nursery with staff who care for them and respect my choices.

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:04 pm

0_Lisa_0 wrote:Can I just say Mr. Clothmama is officially top of my hero's list, hilarious!!!!!! I HATE people who try to fight a corner with bad argument, when they really haven't bothered to find out enough to know what they are talking about!!
Mr.Clothmama I salute you :wink: :hohoho:

WSS. Nothing much to add except to say I am so glad my daughter goes to a lovely nursery with carers who respect my wishes. As others have said as a parent I would be extremely concerned that your workplace is not working to OFSTED ratios 100% of the time.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 pm

scrunchkins wrote: As others have said as a parent I would be extremely concerned that your workplace is not working to OFSTED ratios 100% of the time.

WSS...

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:27 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

completely agree with all replies -i read this am just before leaving on our 6 hour journey home and have been fuming all the way home :giggle: i will not repeat all that has been said as reguards cloth but it is attitudes like this that is why i have never sent any of mine to a nursery. i looked around 2 and felt the children were treated like numbers rather than individuals and the staff took the most convienent route possible wether it suited your child or not (and that was for my first 2 who i used sposies on so nothing to do with cloth) i am sure there are excellent nurseries out there but it is attitudes like this that but people like me off using them :x

ps- sam has been is stinky rotton horrid sweaty sposies for 2 days (no other option) and now he is back in his nice cool fluff which took me about 3 secs to put on- quicker than a sposies as he didn't keep pulling it off again :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat