hf1

My personal opinion about cloth nappies

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: My personal opinion about cloth nappies

Postby ems » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:54 pm

I expect most of us here were cloth diped ;)

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 pm

I wonder what ms nursery nurse would propose to do with a child allergic to disposable nappies...

ems wrote:I expect most of us here were cloth diped ;)
I know I was - no trouble walking or sitting here... :giggle:

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby sim » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:20 pm

There is no need for me to repeat the excellent arguments already put forward in response to this unashamedly provocative, yet alarmingly ill informed, post.

However, as a deputy headteacher in an educational setting, I am appalled at the attitude you seem to take towards providing basic care to children. I have grave concerns over whether your establishment is:
1) working to Ofsted ratios
2) meeting the statutory requirements of the EYFS curriculum
3) ensuring staff are adequately trained, qualified and suitable to work with children
You most certainly are not addressing the Every Child Matters outcomes.

Finally,

Pinchette wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:time to add a few new smileys? ;)

:hohoho: :hohoho:
0_Lisa_0 wrote:Can I just say Mr. Clothmama is officially top of my hero's list, Mr.Clothmama I salute you :wink: :hohoho:

And me. Image

As for Nursery-nurse, take that: Image

What they said.

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Nursery Nurse wrote:The urine is not taken away from the skin and in some cases the nappy actually smell of urine even after 30 minutes. Staff do not have the time to sit a child on the potty every 20 minutes when it takes just as long to put the the nappy back on.

Cloth nappies can also hinder walking.

In the summer these nappies are far too warm. I have actually changed children out of cloth nappies as they have been too hot. Some cloth nappies consist of 3 layers of material.

I am new to cloth but in reply to the above 3 points

1. 20 mins to put a nappy on??!! My baby is in hospital long term and they have been more than happy for him to wear cloth. His nurses and doctors have never in their life used cloth nappies before and even they can do it in a couple of mins and Findlay is a major wrigglebum!!

Urine *is* taken away from the skin, Findlay never has a soggy bum when we change his bum. If a nappy is smelling after 30 mins it prob just needs stripping rather than every single cloth nappy smelling, disposables smell far more.

2. Findlay's doctors and nurses have actually made comments about how his nappies hold his legs nicely where they should be for his hips as in a disposable they turn inwards and his legs are perfectly normal

3. Cloth nappies and wraps are far cooler than disposables. Cloth nappy and woolies, well I doubt you'd find anything cooler without letting them be bare bottomed. I take it you wear plastic non breathable pants then as obviously breathable cotton would be far far too hot to wear!!!

Some babies/children are allergic to the chemicals in disposables so you should not put them in disposables without parental permission to do so. I would be absolutely fuming if when Findlay is older I picked him up from nursery to find he'd been in disposables all day because someone like you had deemed it 'too hot' to wear cloth as not only would he be yucky and sweaty but he would also come out in the most horrendous rash that then gets all infected

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 pm

i feel that you have you have been informed wrongly about cloth nappies and mr cloth mama has given a great post answering all your idotic statements no one forces us to use cloth nappies on our babies its our choice and i certainly feel very happy that i am using cloth and there is no plastic or chemicals by his bum if anythign when he wears a sposie he gets awful rash where as when using a fleece lined nappy his sking is always dry and cool .

i think you should read the up to date staments re cloth nappies and the enviroment agency has proven that cloth nappies are better for the enviroment .

and if it takes you 20 mins to change any nappy then i seriously think you are in the wrong job it takes bout 2 mins from start to finish and that includes getting the cloths on and off aswell

well done to thos of you who have gone to the effort to find looks to proper info on cloth nappies :wine:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:15 am

i was cloth diapered as a baby with terries and i was walking by 12 months. i was an elite gymnast by the time i was 8.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:29 am

Nursery nurse it's nice to get a different perspective, even if uninformed!

My main concerns with your post are;
Cloth hinders walking -My lo has been in cloth since birth - she's been walking since 11 months old. She's a very heavy wetter so her nappies are trim but very stuffed - this hasn't hindered her development.
And as for changing taking 20mins - I presume u're making the nappies from scratch, as there is no other explanation for it taking so long. Our changes take 5 mins - and thats with me carrying my lo upstairs (heavily pregnant, huffing and puffing and taking several stops lol), getting the water for our cloth wipes, and making the nappy up - well finding where hubby has dumped all the clean inserts (I'm not organised and make them up at each change!)

I was a clothed tot for the first yr of my life, and apparently was an early walker - bear in mind those days all that was available were large terries and nappy pins.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 am

i would also like to add that the reason dan wears cloth is because he is allergic to disps. he was horribly sore and red all the time until i switched to cloth and ive never looked back.

ETA ive found her forum :wink: very busy is'nt it :pinocchio:

My avatar
k-k-k-ktiow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby k-k-k-ktiow » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:48 am

No nappy rash here, no chemical smell nappies, no extra bin bag full of chemicals, no damp bottom. Happy Annie, childminder converted by BumGs, we have conceded to putting the pooey liners into nappy sacks, but even that is much more pleasant than binbags full of 7/8 nappies a day.
We're so happy in cloth, we use disposables like we use take aways, when we are feeling lazy or something has broken down, we know they are not as nice as nice as home cooking but they can be convenient.
Oh and while we're on this point, i wonder does nursey nurse wear disposable pants or regular? I admit to wearing disposables when travelling and in hospital but the rest of the time, I prefer my own... :wink:
My profession opinion is that I wouldn't use a nursery which was so inefficient (20 minutes to change a nappy :hohoho: :hohoho: Noodle can change one in 5 and he's only 7!) and opinionated.
Just off to post this on her site...or his...not sure of gender..
KT

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat