hf1

My personal opinion about cloth nappies

My avatar
jennyjanesharp
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: My personal opinion about cloth nappies

Postby jennyjanesharp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:39 am

I really want to know what nursery this is... Ofsted would be very interested...w hich is why she probably hasn't stuck around - she'd be in big trouble

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 pm

Well, I've been using nappies for 26 years now. My dds all walked long before their first birthdays despite wearing the old fashioned terry squares, the same type of terry squares my mum used on me, and they didn't hold me back. Nonsense to say wearing cloth nappies hold babies back from walking.

Ds2 is nearly 7 months old and has been sitting up well since he was 20 weeks - maybe his cloth nappies gave him something to balance on :giggle: To be honest, most of the nappies I use are not much bulkier than disposables anyway.

Tonight he has on a disposable for bed, because I have been ill for a couple of days and haven't got round to washing his wraps for his night nappies. Dh has commented about the chemical smell from his nappy within half an hour of him having it on. Dh wasn't particularly keen for me to use real nappies, but he's converted now.

I also find that disposable nappies are nowhere near as good at containment of explosive poo as cloth! Takes much longer to change a whole outfit after one of those accidents than just changing a cloth nappy and putting it in a bag until home time.

My avatar
afterglow
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby afterglow » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:40 pm

I think the original post has been handled with far more grace and elegance than it deserves.

I don't expect everyone to use or support cloth nappies rather than disposables, but I really would expect anyone entrusted with the care of my child, or anyone's child, to take a little more time to get their facts straight before launching an ill-informed broadside on an anonymous internet site. Indeed, I would expect that person to come straight to me with their concerns, then I could decide for myself if I felt they were justified or if it was time to consider putting my child into a different nursery. If you really do have the courage of your convictions, then take your concerns up directly with the parents of the children you look after who you think may be compromised by their decision to use cloth nappies.This would seem to me to be a far more useful approach than the one you have chosen Personally, your posting of a single post with no followup suggests to me that you won't be taking this course of action.

The only thing that I would add to the many well-informed posts above is that walking generally starts anytime between 9 and 18months. Plenty of disposabled babies walk later too. My dd got going at 16months, and I really don't give a hoot if she might, theoretically, have gotten going at 14months if she'd been in disposables. Why on earth does it matter?

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:18 am

Hi everyone, I just wanted to reply to echo what everybody else has said so well. Those responses are very well informed and structured.

I am a recent convert to cloth and have not found any of the negative points raised being a problem with my 13 month old son.

Cara x

My avatar
FUZZIFAN
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby FUZZIFAN » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:00 pm

I think we have a classic TROLL case here :nono: . Probably not even a nursery nurse :pinocchio: . Otherwise that person would be back to respond to the other side of the argument or not even come on a cloth nappy forum!

Nicky

BTW User's statistics -Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 pm Last visited: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:44 pm - says it all!

My avatar
Howard2009
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Howard2009 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:time to add a few new smileys? ;)

absolutely WSS!

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:20 pm

FUZZIFAN wrote:I think we have a classic TROLL case here :nono: . Probably not even a nursery nurse :pinocchio: . Otherwise that person would be back to respond to the other side of the argument or not even come on a cloth nappy forum!

Nicky

BTW User's statistics -Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:03 pm Last visited: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:44 pm - says it all!

WSS.

I am also recently converted and I have never found any of those things a problem. She obviously has no idea what she is talking about because she can't even argue her opinions properly. Ds was walking when we changed to cloth and it made NO difference what-so-ever. It smells less and is just so much better for him, definately doesn't take any longer to put on!!!!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat