hf1

Cloth Nappies - Lifespan

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Cloth Nappies - Lifespan

Postby litlestar » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:22 am

I was reading on another unnamed forum a query about how well cloth nappies would last to be used for baby 2+
and whether particular brands of nappies had a longer 'life' in use.

the cloth nappy section there is relatively new so there are few experienced cloth users which is why i skipped over here in the first place! :wink: but i'd like to be able to provide some useful information to them.

obviously these nappies go through the torture of constantly being washed and worn for pretty much 2.5 years and then may have to re-live that punishment for child two/three etc. (sorry - i make it sound like a jail sentence don't i :giggle: )

any experience on best brands or longevity of certain brands or how well they've coped with this level of hardcore usage.

obviously our carbon footprints and costs are significantly reduced by using them for many children.

i'm interested what your experiences are.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Cloth Nappies - Lifespan

Postby rhead » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:36 pm

My only long-term workhorse nappies have been Little Lambs (cotton, aplix) and Bumbles. Both held up well enough that I intended to use them for DD as well, but then I decided to treat her to new (mostly preloved) nappies, as so much had changed since I'd made my choices for DS. The aplix on the LLs had gone a bit dodgy on some, though those were their generation 1 nappies and I think that was one of the improvements they made later. I think that's always the main wear point, and is a major reason why a lot of people prefer either poppers or nippas.

The Bumbles held up well, but over time terry inevitably flattens and goes a bit crunchy.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:47 pm

I think the worst thing that happens to the nappies is that the elastic can break in them. This process is sped up by using the tumble-dryer alot, putting elasticated nappies straight onto the radiator and hot washes (if you dont mind washing at 40 degrees, the elastic may last longer!) Poppers and aplix can also be replaced if necessary.

There are nappies that have elastic that can be replaced easily by yourself, but other are a bit more of PITA :roll: I've had some WAHM nappies where the elastic has gone in them, or is starting to, even after not that much use, but when it happened with one of my WN's, Suzanne kindly offered to fix it for free! So it should last ages again :D Many WAHM nappies are superbly made though, and will last for ages! 3 or 4 of my BGs have dodgy elastic now and its annoying as i'd like them to have got to a second baby before that, and on a couple of them the aplix isn't very sticky anymore either. Again, aplix can be replaced with a little effort! I have 3 Flexitots, that having been used just several times each, have holes in them :-?

My size one nappies are going to be used on a second baby when SILs baby is born (for some of them it will be a third), and if theres any life left in them then I'll use them for my next one as well! Small nappies tend to do more babies as they're not used for as long as bigger nappies.

Flat nappies, inserts and boosters will last for years unless they have been badly stitched, and in theory shouldn't really stop being usable until they literally fall apart! My mum gave me the terries she used on me and my sister and while they're a bit thin now, they are very usable. PUL wraps may not last as long - they tend to get leaky with a lot of use and I'm not sure if that many of them make it to a second baby, but it really just depends how much they've been used!

Id imagine some of the commercial brands like motherease and tots bots should definetly last until a second baby. By that time, you may have made your savings already and really just be cloth nappying the next baby for free! :D Most WAHM nappies can be repaired by the WAHM again, even if they charge a small fee then the nappy is usually good as new!

When I think of the fortune I have spent on my nappies, I like to think that they will do the next baby as well!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:31 pm

I can't really comment as I only started using cloth when ds1 was 16 months (used eco disp prior) & have used on ds2 since he was 3 months but a friend of mine is using her Fuzzi Bunz on ds3 with no probs at all. She does not own a tumble drier so always line dried so maybe this helps? I never tumble dry mine but only use pockets so they dry real quick over the back of the dining room chairs! :giggle:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:49 pm

I guess a lot depends on the size of the stash - the more nappies in rotation, the less use, the longer they'll last. DD wore size 1 Tots Bots from birth. By the time she outgrew them, the leg elastic of a couple were starting to go (I was disappointed by this, I hoped they'd last much longer). And there was definite sun bleaching from them being line dried (if prettiness counts, it's something to bear in mind!). Otherwise, aplix is another stress point and can go, which is one of the reasons that I prefer poppers. I think that the heavier duty materials (bamboo velour rather than terry cotton) wear better, so this is also something to consider.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:51 pm

I find the larger sizes got more 'wear' as growth slows...

A lot of Isabelle's old hemp night notion inserts are wearing thin now and some of her cotton nappies will need boosting on Grace... But only the really heavily used ones...
Generally the ones that were used in bigger rotation have lasted fine and will be used on Grace when she grows into them...

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat