hf1

Soy nappies and allergy?

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Soy nappies and allergy?

Postby freckle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am

I have seen a few nappies have soy in them and my son is allergic to soya.

Anyone know whether these nappies would still be ok to use?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Soy nappies and allergy?

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:22 am

Interesting...

Soy allergy is usually a gastroeneral thing but if it does affect his skin when he consumes it then I would avoid soy nappies for now...

I would have thought tho' that the fabric wouldn't really 'interact' with the skin in the same way that eating/drinking it does but if it's a severe allergy I wouldn't risk it... If it's just that it makes him vomit then it should be fine.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:35 am

The Upsy Daisy soy night and fitted nappies are both fully fleece lined, so there shouldn't be that much contact with his skin really.

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:40 am

It's actually the UDNN I wanted!

I had wondered about when he peed whether anything from the soy material would leak out (sorry new to cloth nappies and allergies!!). Plus being a NN I obviously wouldn't be there to see any reaction.

He had a severe reaction to dairy and so had skin prick tests for common allergens and reacted to dairy, soya, nuts and eggs. He has never eaten any soya though, well no obvious soya but must have consumed from other things. We still don't really know how severe his reactions are to all of the allergies.

Might try and keep an eye our for a second hand UDNN first and then try it out during the daytime for a few days first.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:41 am

Unfortunately most dairy cows are fed large amounts of soy feed so that's where a lot of soy allergy comes from :?
Plus as you're no doubt discovering it's in all sorts as stabilisers and bulking agents 'lecethin' e.g. bread, chocolate, burgers, etc etc...

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:51 pm

As the soy fabric is a by-product of food stuff soy then it's very possible that it'll also cause the same reaction.

Our Night Nappies are fleece lined but there is obviously no guarantee that some of the soy wouldn't come into contact with your lo's sking.

If you like, I can send you a swatch of the soy for you to see if it does cause any sort of reaction so you'll know if it's safe to buy a soy nappy?

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:52 pm

Thanks. I have sent you a PM :)

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat