hf1

What have I done wrong?

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

What have I done wrong?

Postby bryc1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 pm

As many of you know I switched from using disp 5 nights ago due to them rubbing her to open sore, have been using fitteds and wool. When in cloth during day and disp at night apart from that and if I had left her in fleece lined nappy to long we had no sore or red bottoms. All was going well until today I used JR last night unlined presumed it was BV as felt that way she was quite red looking when I took it off, it has got worse during the day it is not as intense looking if use fleece liner, thought I would try fleece lined again but if I do she is red all over with pin pick rash not just strips of red if not using liner. I had this with Ty and I gave up on nn after 2 days as he got red that quick don't want to give up again especially seeing as disp rubbed her but don't want red sore bottom either any ideas? The other nights I used boosted puddlekins, FF day and hollow oak if that makes a difference. What would you suggest I put her in tonight? Clean I have WNNL, BG, HL, L FF(just about fits large on rise waist and gaps a bit on legs but not that much that would leak I dont think), preston pants minkee pocket and a Sweetiebums fit similar to FF. What NN should be looking to buy?

If you can follow all that any advice greatly recieved.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What have I done wrong?

Postby rhead » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:33 pm

I'd definitely use something fleece lined or with a fleece liner in; I tried Lili once in a Flutterby Nights with the OBV-topped booster on top and no liner and she was horribly red in the morning, and it lasted all day - maybe a full 24 hours - to go away. She once had a bit of redness when I had her in a minkee-inner pocket that she absolutely soaked, but we never have any problems at all with fleece overnight. I've used an FF overnight before (think I put in a thin booster) and it was fine. Not sure about sizing on the WNNNs though, sorry!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:36 pm

Both my kids are fine with OBV but if they arnt OBV then i always use a fleece liner or we get red bums here too...hope it heals up soon!!

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:41 pm

Jack couldnt cope without a 'stay dry' fleece liner in place, I think no matter how soft the nappy fabric is, it is the wetness next to the skin which does it. I also found that even with a fleece liner, there were times when he was obviously a bit off colour and then he would have a rash anyway - I used a nappy cream(cant remember which - one beginning with M and another with a B) and as it was with the fleece, it did no nappy damage. I never swapped him into disposibles (they would make him worse) and the fleece or fleece/cream saw us all the way through. He was in night nappies from about 4 months and is still now in them.

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate all the help I am being given :hug: . I know the creams you mean Emma I am using the b one just now but can't remember the name either :giggle:. After your advise I have put her in L WNNL(amazingly despite being only 15lb it fits big on rise so should be good for night) topped with longies have to admit she does look very cute. Hopefully the rash will disappear as quickly as it came now I am using correct things.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Given that generally night nappies are on for a lot longer than day nappies any detergent residue or bacteria residue (if you're not washing at 60) will make the chance of a rash worse...
Also urine being in contact with the skin for that length of time without a change can irritate...
Isabelle's started getting rashes in cloth at night again - we have to alternate between cloth and disps annoyingly as I can only use a fleece liner in certain nappies otherwise we get leaks and if I don't use one she gets sore pretty quick as her wee is quite concentrated at night...

I would stick to bamboo nappies for now as they're anti-bacterial...

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Will see how it goes, had wondered if I will have alternate once the sore has healed as it is right where inner frill on disp sits, though will try different disp. Having had to change clothes again I am also wondering if the new redness is another sign of the jags as she has bad with reflux since also. Like you say it could well be the concentrated wee as she only feeds once during night. Always wash at 60c :oops: will give few extra rinses for next wash just incase though. Thanks again.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:25 pm

bryc1 wrote:I am also wondering if the new redness is another sign of the jags as she has bad with reflux since also.
Oooooh yes Grace's reflux has been bad since the last lot of jabs on Tuesday... PITA they are!

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Have you tried a minkee liner rather than fleece? Don't know about NN I'm afraid but Austin always looks less sore when we use minkee liners.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat