hf1

customs when ordering from abroad?

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

customs when ordering from abroad?

Postby JennyPenny » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Can somebody explain customs to me? I haven't really ordered from other countries so never needed to know :-?

My avatar
babybots
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: customs when ordering from abroad?

Postby babybots » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Jenny,

I think it all depends on what you have ordered and where you have ordered it from.

If the item requires duty to be paid and it gets stopped then you will normally get a letter from the Royal Mail telling you how much and how to pay, they then release and deliver once paid for.

If its not declared on an invoice and they open an item to see whats in it then they also charge you for repacking.

If the item does not require duty then they normally just let it through, but again if they stop it and open it they charge you for repacking even with no duty to be paid.

Any duty that is due is the normal amount of VAT that is charged when sold in the UK.

All in all its a bit of a lottery, apparently depending on which country you are importing from as to whether they stop it or not, some countries they stop everything!!

Hope that helps a bit, unfortunately customs and excise is a big secretive world that no-one is allowed to fully know about.

If there is anything else Ican help with just let me know and I will see what I can do

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Here you go - I wrote this out on BC a few weeks ago, so just cutting and pasting here.

I know there is a lot of confusion about this so thought I would just outline what I've found out (and have confirmed with the tariff classification service this morning).

If you import cloth nappies from outside the EU, they are subject to import duty, as follows:

10.5% on the total paid (item plus shipping) NB not on the value so if you buy in a sale or buy wholesale, it is only on what you paid.

You don't have to pay VAT (as they are nappies and zero rated in the UK). They are not the same thing. You DO have to pay customs import duty, but not VAT.

You don't have to pay duty if the amount of the duty is £7 or less. The figure normally quoted is value of goods £18 but this is for VAT to apply and no VAT is payable on nappies anyway.

If you have to pay customs you also have to pay the processing fee to the parcel handler, normally around £8-£13 depending on who handles it.

All this applies only if your parcel is stopped - some get through with no customs being charged, in my experience around 50% of them are stopped.

The normal duty rate on clothes/textiles is 12%, so it is worth checking that they haven't applied that;, although the difference will be pennies unless your parcel is high value and probably not even worth reclaiming...

I hope that helps, and interesting to hear if anyone has anything to add...

My avatar
babybots
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby babybots » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Seems thats what I get for asking the advice of Parcel Force, they told me that unless it was VAT then nothing else applies apart from any handling (repacking) charges, that extra 10% could make bringing stuff in from outside the EU quite expensive.

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 pm

babybots wrote:Seems thats what I get for asking the advice of Parcel Force, they told me that unless it was VAT then nothing else applies apart from any handling (repacking) charges, that extra 10% could make bringing stuff in from outside the EU quite expensive.

Lyns, If you've been charged VAT you should be able to reclaim it.

Yep, it certainly adds a fair bit to the costs. But on the upside not all of them get caught :wink:

My avatar
babybots
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby babybots » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:34 pm

Vic,

Im not Lyns :doh: , so far not had to pay any customs charges so have been quite lucky, but with the amount that we are bringing in it is always hanging over us, especially as we are likely to be ordering by the container load soon.

At least we now know who to ask for some advice if we need it 8)

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:38 pm

babybots wrote:Im not Lyns :doh:

:-? confused face

especially as we are likely to be ordering by the container load soon.

Yep, that might attract some attention. :shock:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat