Advice with nappy's and hols

My avatar
vickylum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Advice with nappy's and hols

Postby vickylum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Hiya,
Were going on our hols in just over a week,and i really dont want to put Olivia back into disposables :cry: i know it will only be for a week but they make her really rashy and sore!!
Has anyone gone on holday and used cloth? I was thinking of taking cloth and just handwashing them just for the week but not sure if that will be too much like hard work!! :giggle:
Any suggestions please,really dont want to have to use sposies but looks like im going to have to!! :(

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Advice with nappy's and hols

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:06 pm

I took cloth away and used it for 2 weeks but I had a washing machine for the first week (used it twice) and then used an on-site launderette in the second week (again used it twice - wasn't cheaper than using sposies as it was £4 a wash but gave me more pleasure than sposies).

I have some gDiapers which I use prefolds in - this means that I can re-use the outer and just change the prefold inside (like an ai2). The plus to this is that the packing is kept to a minimum (I packed 20 prefolds and 6 outers which gave me plenty for 3-4 days and took up no room in the bag really - 20 pockets or fitteds would have taken up far more room), the outers can be easily handwashed and dried quickly and the prefolds can be washed at any temp without worry of them being ruined (I don't like the thought of putting my lovely nappies in a machine I am not familiar with :giggle: ) and opened out flat to dry quickly.

Don't know if I would do it if I had to handwash though :-?

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Most places have laundry facilities these days. I would take enough so that you can do one wash mid week and one when you come home. Bringing AI2'S might help so that you can snap out one insert and pop another one in therefor saving space. MF inserts might be good too cos they dry quick.

I would not be hand washing nappies either. :shock:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:19 pm

WE took nappies camping - just took the amount we needed and a few spares! They had an on site launderette but it was a really old machine and i had visions of it eating my lovely nappies :shock:

I wouldnt mind handwashing with gloves on, just the Wee ones but you cant wring them out the same as a spin cycle so im guessing would take an age to dry?

I agree with the AI2 idea and the prefolds would dry quick like annette said. What do you mainly use? x

My avatar
vickylum
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby vickylum » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:45 pm

happytails wrote:WE took nappies camping - just took the amount we needed and a few spares! They had an on site launderette but it was a really old machine and i had visions of it eating my lovely nappies :shock:

I wouldnt mind handwashing with gloves on, just the Wee ones but you cant wring them out the same as a spin cycle so im guessing would take an age to dry?

I agree with the AI2 idea and the prefolds would dry quick like annette said. What do you mainly use? x

So did you not use the washing machine,did you just use a wet bag to put the wet/soiled nappies in and then washed them when you got home? Thats what im thinking of doing!!We are only going for 5 days!!

We are going butlins not sure they have a launderette,we use itti bitti's full time!!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:49 pm

I would have thought there would be laundry facilities, why don't you contact the site to find out.
We took cloth with us to Spain this year, they even had their won little suitcase in the plane cabin :oops: :giggle: I took 3 or 4 night nappies, some fitteds and pockets, i did wash most days though as we had a washing machine in our apartment. x

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:56 pm

If it is only 5 days, I would just take enough for that time and bring them back. We have a huge swaddlebees wetbag that will take loads of nappies and just put them in there until they can be washed. http://www.babykind.co.uk/nappyessentials.htm#swadtote

My avatar
cookiegirl
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cookiegirl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:58 pm

We went camping recently and took cloth with us. (4-5 days) I just took enough to cover those days and each night popped the dirties in a wetbag into the car so they didn't stink the tent out. I added lots of teatree oil to the bag to keep the bag smelling fresh as well and the car was fine..( dh didn't complain anyway and he has a super sensitive nose) :wink:

My avatar
FUZZIFAN
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby FUZZIFAN » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:07 pm

I am at my mums caravan most weeks from sun-weds through the summer and there isn't a washing machine there. I use pre-folds and pul wraps (at the moment though planning to change to tots) and just handwash them. It's no bother and there is something very satisfying about it but my mums caravan is on its own plot so plenty of space to dry nappies. I have a nappy bucket there but you could get one of those big bags. Once a day I fill the shower tray with water and washing powder (or whatever u use) let them soak a while and then hand wash them, rinse them and hang them up to dry. Very simple. I hate sposies with a passion but I do use them of a night there at the moment :oops: I don't have enough nappies suitable for nights to take with me.

Nicky :D

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat