Help really needed for nappy virgin...

My avatar
evansmummy
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Help really needed for nappy virgin...

Postby evansmummy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:28 am

I just moved over to cloth and need some help :wink:

I currently have a totbots easyfit (bamboo) a BGv3 a lollipop popngro and have a GK minky and UD minky coming from the classified bit next week..and am VERY close to ordering some ittis... :D

Firstly i was hoping you could give me some input on the performance of these..ive googled tons but nothing like it being tried and tested :giggle:

And also where can i get booster from? From what ive been reading alot of them need extra boosting on top, but i havent a clue where to start :roll: Lo leaked out of the totsbot within an hour yesterday :shock: HELP :mrgreen:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: Help really needed for nappy virgin...

Postby Louise » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:39 am

evansmummy wrote: I currently have a totbots easyfit (bamboo) a BGv3 a lollipop popngro and have a GK minky and UD minky coming from the classified bit next week..and am VERY close to ordering some ittis... :D

Hi. Have you looked in the reviews section to see if there are any there? Personally I've never tried any of those nappies but I'm sure people who have will be along shortly with their comments.

Are the nappies new or preloved? Bamboo nappies take a good few washes until they reach full absorbency so will either need boosting until then or changing more frequently.

And also where can i get booster from? From what ive been reading alot of them need extra boosting on top, but i havent a clue where to start :roll: Lo leaked out of the totsbot within an hour yesterday :shock: HELP :mrgreen:

Unless your LO is a heavy wetter you shouldn't really need to boost. I'm not sure how often you usually change your LO when using disposables but most cloth nappies should be changed after 2-3 hours. Most of the nappy websites sell boosters and there are some on ebay too.

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:52 am

I can't comment on the totbots easyfit or the lollipop.
I had a bg V2 I think and it was fantastic.
The UD and GK are fantastic pockets imo, really trim and performing very well.
As for boosters and inserts, nappyzone sells the GK ones and if you hurry up you can bag some UD one on their website before they close to public sale on the 31st.

You'll need boosting at night and if your lo is a heavy wetter really.
You can buy them second hand, which is great as they'll have been washed several times so will be at their most absorbant.
Bamboo and Hemp are the most absorbant, hemp absorbs slowly so it is best used between nappy and wrap for fitted or as your last layer.
You can also buy cheap microfibre cleaning cloth in tesco and they work very well as boosters.

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Cadiva » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:00 pm

evansmummy wrote:I just moved over to cloth and need some help :wink:

I currently have a totbots easyfit (bamboo) a BGv3 a lollipop popngro and have a GK minky and UD minky coming from the classified bit next week..and am VERY close to ordering some ittis... :D

Firstly i was hoping you could give me some input on the performance of these..ive googled tons but nothing like it being tried and tested :giggle:

I haven't used Tots Bots but can highly recommend BGs, they are still our staple workhorse every day nappy now that James is 17 months. I also have a few UD, both one sized pockets and also front and side snapping ones and I love them. I find the sized side snap fit better on James but the BTP works well too.

Personally I'm not as keen on the GK minky but I know a lot of people who do use them successfully. I would say of the GKs, the Anytimes have been the best for us with the Minky second and I wouldn't ever use a Funtime again as the one we have has just constantly leaked because of the fit of the legs/cotton fabric causing wicking.

For boosters I use Easy Peasy hemp ones (5 for £10) and Babeco bamboo as well as random microfibre ones. Easy Peasy boosters can be bought direct from them and I got my Babeco ones from LittlePantsNappies.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat