hf1

Come help me again

My avatar
Elaine
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Come help me again

Postby Elaine » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:17 pm

Here are some of the questions they are going to ask me. Give me your opinions. The more the better.

What made you decide to do the towelling nappy thing? (That is exactly how they are going to ask it)

What challenges did you face with non-disposable nappies? (Cant think of any, anyone?)
How did you overcome these?

Do fleece liners really keep baby dry?

How do all these towelling and material nappies get cleaned - take us through the process.

What do you think the benefits for baby are, to wearing cloth nappies?

Thanks, I know you guys will be able to help.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Come help me again

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:22 pm

What made you decide to do the towelling nappy thing? (That is exactly how they are going to ask it) Money, why pay for something which gets used once and thrown away, when you can save money by reusing.

What challenges did you face with non-disposable nappies? I wasn't allowed to use them in SCBU but general hospital was fine. Taking them on an overseas holiday.
How did you overcome these? Had to use prem disposable nappies for the days he was there. Resorted to disposables but when travelling by car, they come with us.

Do fleece liners really keep baby dry? Yes

How do all these towelling and material nappies get cleaned - take us through the process.put them in the washing machine and wash, hang out to dry.

What do you think the benefits for baby are, to wearing cloth nappies? lots of research done about hips being in the correct position for growing babies especially if they have a displacement. Cooler inside for boys which is probably affecting male infertility as they are older. Not creating masses of waste / landfill. Soft landing for when they are learning to stand and walk.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:26 pm

For the challenges you could talk about the initial outlay for nappies, and the extra work of cleaning them, but then say you know that you'd rather do a bit extra washing and pay a little more in the beginning, instead of filling a landfill with aprox 2 tons of plastic and gel and that cloth is less expensive in long run, even more so if you use them for more than 1 child.

My avatar
cookiegirl
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cookiegirl » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm

What made you decide to do the towelling nappy thing? Cost of nappies, got depressing to have binbags of stinking disposables and liked the idea of reusables. Lookswise they can't be beaten by disposables. Basically pricewise each pkt of disposable = a reusable nappy. (well that's what I tell dh! :oops: ) Also wanted to help by not filling the landfills up.

What challenges did you face with non-disposable nappies? None really, can be expensive to get started but there are plenty of cheaper brands available or you can make your own. Re-sale value is high. Another challenge is being introduced to the expensive, high end range as dangerous to my bank balance.

How did you overcome these? as stated above, resale via classifieds/internet/ebay.

Do fleece liners really keep baby dry? YES!! Not that different to the fleece used for lining walking jackets- breathable and wicks away sweat.....fleece liners will keep bums dry

How do all these towelling and material nappies get cleaned - take us through the process. Cold rinse to get rid of stubborn poos and to reduce smells, then a 60 degree wash with 1/2 amount detergent. Hang or tumble dry.

What do you think the benefits for baby are, to wearing cloth nappies? Soft on baby's skin, chemical free bum, not adding to the landfills, correct hip alignment and infertility issues for boys as Annette stated. Plus makes nappy change a bit more fun as they are so cute...from an aesthetic point they look so much better than disposibles!

Best of luck tommorrow!

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:31 pm

I started using them because I was disgusted at the amount of rubbish just one baby in nappies produced, and the stink in my bathroom was orrible, I've never had that with re-usables :D PLUS cos they were cute :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :giggle:

Challenges ... no challenges really, they are easy peasy once you give them a go, you could mention cloth nappy forums at this point though, they can be hugely helpful for newbies :wink:

My avatar
Emma S
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Emma S » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:05 pm

What made you decide to do the towelling nappy thing? (That is exactly how they are going to ask it)
Suggested it by a friend (I had no awareness of cloth prior to her, sadly not for DD :( ) money and environmental reasons were the main initial incentive.

What challenges did you face with non-disposable nappies? (Cant think of any, anyone?)
Didnt get on with prefolds, but ebay was selling 2nd hand in those days so it was easy and fun to experiment. Also had to use disposibles at first as DD was in hospital and I couldnt face dealing with learning about cloth on DS while so worried about her.

How did you overcome these?
Just buying lots of different types, started buying and selling nappies on ebay, importing things like kissaluvs (werent available here then) in bulk from ebay USA

Do fleece liners really keep baby dry?
Absolutely

How do all these towelling and material nappies get cleaned - take us through the process.
rinse poo off down loo (or use a flushable liner so it drops down), quick rinse if soiled, dry pailed, washing machine on 40, tumble dried.
Found that although I washed the nappies, I wasnt washing wet/soiled clothing and bedding from leaky disposibles, so it more or less balanced out.

What do you think the benefits for baby are, to wearing cloth nappies?
all as stated above - less chemicals near them, heat generated by chemicals, hip placement, risk of burns from nappies splitting, more breathable, less nappy rash, doesnt stink like disposibles, not unbalanced when walking if sodden and hanging to knees (a lovely sight to behold- slack mums bums) protects spine when learning to walk, can remove fleece liner when potty training so child becomes aware of being wet,

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat