Is this just a problem with m/f inserts??? :(

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Is this just a problem with m/f inserts??? :(

Postby Jenni&Babes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:46 pm

They have been smelling again :cry:

Flynn wore an FB with an FB insert to toddler group today and he really started to smell of wee after about an hour! :oops: :(

Is it just a problem with m/f as I have never noticed any smells with my bamboo and cotton nappies or the pre-folds I stuff his Minki's with??

He's such a chunky boy that the FB's/PB's are the only nappies I use when we go out as his trousers are too tight on anything else so I need to solve this problem!

Should I try different inserts and what would fit well in my FB's? Or do they just need stripping?

I wash them with a cold rinse first, then the longest cycle with extra rinse at 40 or 60 with bio. Then I take out the nappies and do another inse with just the inserts! Today I have done an extra 2 rinses with just the inserts lol!

Or is it just Flynn's wee?! Because the FB Josh wore to bed didn't seem particularly smelly this morning! :?
Last edited by Jenni&Babes on Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:06 pm

try bio powder. non bio never seems to get anything very clean here, something to do with hard water i think.
do a wash with 1 bio tab, and then rinse and rinse and rinse till all bubbles are gone. do the wash at 60 just in case, and then pour lots of vinegar in the last inse too.
that should cover most eventualities!
hth
shevi

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:11 pm

Oops I meant to say Bio not Non-bio lol! :oops:

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:13 pm

We have very soft water and they always smell fine when they have been washed (with bio) and when dry - it's just when he wees in them lol! :?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:27 pm

sounds like build up, so after the next wash, try rinseing and rinsing and rinseing and rinsing till there are no more bubbles.
some people wash with a squirt of washing up liquid and then 100000 rinses to strip

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 pm

The vinegar in the fc compartment works wonders too as it actually helps neutralize the urine. I also put a couple of drops of tt oil and 6 of lavender with the COLD rinse before washing (heat can set the smell in hence why it needs to be cold). I didn't used to do all this but then got smelly nappies when he was teething (wee becomes more potent!) and since then never had a problem. hths

My avatar
Jenni&Babes
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Jenni&Babes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Ah he is teething so maybe that is why they only smell sometimes?!

I haven't got any oils so will get some. I did put vinegar in today after I'd taken the nappies out. I wish my machine would let me just rinse and quick spin - it has to do the full spin after each time!

I will stick them on a 3rd rinse and see if there are still bubbles now....

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat