Reusable nappies and nurseries

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Reusable nappies and nurseries

Postby caeganol » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:41 pm

Hello there,

My LO is starting nursery from december and was wondering what you lots experience was with cloth nappies.

I have an induction day next thursday and I want to be prepared with this.
My LO will be going full time monday to friday so I do need to know, as If I gave disposables then it would be no point doing cloth as I will only have LO on weekends. Also what about the justification in buying so many cloth nappies.

My questions are.
1) Do you give them 3-4 nappies and a bag to put them in??
2)How do they handle pooey nappies, do they just wrap them and put them in the bag?? I am thinking they do.
3) What are the potential problems of doing cloth nappies at nursery??

What was your experience please share.
Thanks in advance

xxxxx
Last edited by caeganol on Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:54 pm

We have a really good nursery. Kayleigh is only there 2 days a week, and they have been very helpful. Kayleigh is the one and only baby at the nursery using cloth nappies. We spoke to them about this before we actually started. They said they would have to check with their OH&S policies. I told them that the nursery at the university had a few babies in cloth, so it shouldn't be against OH&S policies. The only thing they asked is that we provide them with paper liners that can be disposed of.
So, for our full day at nursery we take in 5 nappies. She will usually go thru 4 of them (but some days she has that extra poo).
We leave in there a roll of paper liners. We still haven't got to the end of the roll, but when we get close we will just take another in.
We also take in her wet nappy bag.
They just throw the paper liner and nasties in their contaminated waste along with all the disposable nappies. The wet and slightly dirty nappies just go into the wet nappy bag. We have had the occasion where they will rinse out a messy nappy, but we have told them that they don't need to do that if they don't have the time.
We use to give them a variety of types of nappy when Kayleigh was in the baby room, but now she has moved into a different area with new carers who haven't used cloth before, we have decided to stick with velcro pockets (with 1 microfibre and 1 hemp booster per pocket). This way it is simple for them and there shouldn't be any chance of leaks.
It's quite funny to see how excited some of the carers get with 'what colourful nappies will Kayleigh get today'.
We initially had a few leaks in the baby room with her 2 parters, but once the carers got the hang of it, there were no problems.
Good luck, and hope you have no problems with your wishes of using cloth at nursery.

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:16 pm

Yup

2)How do they handle pooey nappies, do they just wrap them and put them in the bag?? I am thinking they do.
Sometimes they put them in a plastic nappy bag in the wet bag (no idea why), sometimes they just bung them in.

Sometimes I don't think they change her often enough and have leaks. They're also really bad at folding back wash tabs or doing up aplix, so sometimes they get stuck to each other or the bag.

They also aren't as good with poppers as they are with the aplix, so now I send all aplix. Fuzzi Bunz in particular had them very confused, pocket bots and other things with fewer poppers were normally fine.

I have about 12 pocket nappies (3 or 4 days worth) specifically for nursery, and use my others, more complicated ones or two parts at home. It works fine for us. I wash every 3 days now.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Reusable nappies and nurseries

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:22 pm

caeganol wrote:
My questions are.

xxxxx

Hi not had experience of nursery but visiting them often enough as a childminder, what happens with disp (not that you need to know lol) is you normally take in a whole pack with and wipes and leave them there and when they are running low you replace. So with lovely cloth ones

1) Give them enough nappies to change more often than you prob 4 to 5 a day just incase.
2) If they are not used to cloth at all as a compromise as its not ideal you could ask them to use a plastic nappy sack for each wet or dirty nappy and then put in the wet bag (there is some guideline for nursery which says each nappy has to be double wrapped for disposal).
3) depending on how many different members of staff there are who could be looking after your child and changing nappies you could have errors putting them on. The easiest nappy IMO for a nursery would be something like a bg or any velcro fastening pocket, followed by a popper pocket followed by 2 parters. Any nippa nappies would be my last choice as they can be scary to start! You might also have problems with bum cream as people tend to literally slap it on when using disps.

You could be really lucky and find the nursery do provide resuable nappies as some use laundry services or they are used to lots of cloth bummed children.

Good luck! Annette

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:00 pm

Our nursery actually provide disposables so I think they think I am a bit mad for sending in cloth and they have offered to save me the washing :roll: But they are really fine with using them and have had no complaints.

I send in 2 parters as I have a good number of motherease nappies and so they only have to be used to one type and although I like pockets I do find 2 parters more reliable and we very very rarely have leaks (didn't really want to give them any excuse not to like them)

They don't have any problems with poppered motherease nappies and poppered wraps (although Charlotte has on 2 occasions come home with her airflow wrap inside out - I know how!?? Still worked fine though) as I say they are just used to them now.

We send in 4 or 5 nappies - they have 3 set change times (10am, 1pm and 4pm) and usually this is fine although they might need an extra one for a poo. I also always put in an extra wrap just in case of poo explosions.

Annoyingly, I do send in a wet bag and the nappies go in there but they do often insist on putting them in a nappy sack first.

I add fleece liners with a paper liner on top to her nappies, I use fleece at home but it is nicer and easier for them to use paper. Poo and paper goes in the waste and the paper liner means you are less likely to have to deal with poo when you get home - which believe me is the last thing you want to do when you have had a long day!

As they don't leak and I obviously wash them, they have had no complaints at all so far.

My avatar
flamesparrow
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby flamesparrow » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:09 pm

My questions are.

Yup - although they ignore the bag and use a disposable nappy bag

Mine lay a babywipe over the top of the poo before wrapping :D

If you are using 2 part, just every member of staff knowing what to use.

Emrys only goes one morning a week, so I bought 3 bumgenius because I knew they would be easiest. I have sent other pockets since then though - they like my flame weenotions and my berry plush :lol: I was intrigued if they picked nappies by look or what was nearest, so I buried prettier ones down the bottom of the bag... and he came out wearing them!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Reusable nappies and nurseries

Postby beck » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:56 am

Phebie only started last week so its new for everyone, shes the only one in the centre with cloth and I think they think I'm a little crazy to as they supply disp.

My centre wanted a container to put them in so I send our little nappy bin and 3-4 nappies .

The centre prefers liners so if she does a poo it can be thrown in hte bin but yesterday I forgot the liners and her teacher actually rinsed it :shock:

They've had a few leaks but I think thats mainly from them just getting the hang of using them and maybe bum creams if you dont send liners in.

My avatar
caeganol
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby caeganol » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:41 am

Thanks a lot for all the advice.

Another question???

Which liners and how do you use them.
Do you cut them to the shape of the nappy or just send the roll and how are they suppose to use it????
I will have to tell them how to use it!!!!!!!!!!

I was also meaning to ask you all the disposable liner that comes in the box, how do you use them to line the nappy. I use them and poo still gets around to the nappy. Please help!!!!!!!!!

I know I am very thick and have been asking really stupid questions, I hope you all don't mind.
Thanks
sukhi

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:50 am

Because we use 2 parts we just place the disposable liner on the nappy - it overlaps at the edges but then gets all held in by the wrap so it doesn't matter. This helps to ensure the poo stays on the liner, although it does sometimes manage to escape onto the nappy.

I always put the fleece and paper liners into the nappy when putting them away so I can just grab them and put them in the bag and then they are all ready for the people at nursery to use without having to think about liners.

If you use pockets with paper liners, you need to be more careful about tucking the liner in. But I wouldn't bother cutting them up or anything just lay it in, put on the nappy and then tuck anything visible back in.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat