hf1

Nursery wont use cloth :-( - Update

My avatar
mousenose
Clothie
Clothie

Nursery wont use cloth :-( - Update

Postby mousenose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 am

Hiya, this is my first proper post! My son jake is 10 and a half months now and I have decided to start using real nappies. i have been given some bambino mio stuff off freecycle and they seem ok so far (about three days!) I have 3 little lamb wraps and one mio wrap but it is a bit small.

My problem is that I am starting college next week so jake will be at nursery 3 days a week and they said yesterday that they wont use real nappies and I have to provide disposables for him. The whole point of this was to save money so using sposies three days a week seems like a futile effort! Can they actually refuse to do it? They said they dont have the facitlities? I dont want them to wash them, just shove them in a bag for me to do. I was planning on getting some all in ones or pockets to use there, and probably go to full time if I can get enough because the mios are annoying me slightly already!

Has anyoine got any advice, suggestions with nursery or general cloth use? x :(

Update: I just spoke to the nursery manager on the phone and she was very reluctant to discuss it. It seems the main problem they have with it is the storage of wet bags etc during the day and hygiene reasons. Presently they use a system similar to th tt nappy wrappers where it sausages them in a sealed unit and they get disposed that way. I explained that they could double seal mine in nappy bag then wet bag etc but she said they wouoldnt have room to hang it up ro store it, however they have shelves lining the room where they are changed with labels and a pile of nappies for the kids so i suggested that because his space would be free of sposies they could put his wet bag there but she said it would be a big no no cos they are clean sposies and his would be dirty. It doesnt make much sense to me cos it would have no contact, be taken away at the end of the day.

Then she said well what if everyone wanted to start using them and I had to have 30 wet bags hanging round the room? i got a bit uppity then and suggested that in that case mayube they would realise that it is a demand and thus change their policies to accomadate! i have agreed i will take sposies in on thursday but want to go in and show them the wet bag, nappies etc next week.

So! Has anyone got any pocket nappies in neutral or boy clours that they are selling and would fit a 22lb er?
xx
Last edited by mousenose on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Nursery wont use cloth :-(

Postby indigosky2k » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:07 am

:x :x I'm sure they can't do that, they have to follow parents wishes and all that. I'm sure someone else will know more, just wanted to have a :x :x for you :roll:

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:19 am

I'm not sure they can refuse tbh. What if he was allergic to dispos? They wouldn't have a choice then.

There's bound to be someone on here that knows for definite, but I wouldn't think they can just say no.

My avatar
mousenose
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mousenose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:25 am

thanks guys. hope someone should know for sure. One of the girls there watched me change him and said she was very interested in it all so i dont think it would be hard to convince the staff. I know it is silly but cos the nursery place is funded through my college I feel like what they say goes, that he is lucky to have a place but surely I have a right to what happens with jake. He has had horrendous nappy rash, where it has broken the skin and he screams when changed which is partly why I switched and it is clearing up now.

x

My avatar
emmajayne33
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby emmajayne33 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 am

:x Surely they can't refuse!? I don't know either, I hope someone knows for sure.

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 am

Personally i wouldn't give them a choice, theyed use cloth on my child because thats what i use at home. They can't force you to provide disposables especially when they're inferior to lovely cloth.

I would stand my ground but also wouldn't give them a choice and would hit the roof if they tried to go over my head and put a disposable on my child if there was cloth available, i think a few people have had problems with hospitals and nursery's saying they don't use cloth because its unhygenic which is rubbish! The dirty nappies are sealed in a wetbag out of everyones way whereas the nappy bins are on the ground where little hands can get to them. If they insist on having nappy sacks then you can even get those which are washable (available from Babykind). Pocket nappies are really simple so they shouldn't have a problem with them because surely you'd have them set up and ready to put on just as a disposable would be.

I'd also be inclined to use cloth wipes just to prove a point but then i use those at home and if annoyed do become extremely stubborn. :wink:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:42 am

You might be able to pick up some cheap Bumgenius secondhand, they'd be less intimidating than prefolds and wraps as they basically just go on like sposies and then they can chuck them in a wet bag... I see them for £4-5 on the classifieds sometimes, if you could scrape together enough for 2 days at nursery, say, it might be worth doing? They dry really quickly so that'd probably be enough, though if it's 3 consecutive days it might be easier for you if you had enough for all 3 days.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:44 am

paintedclaws wrote: i think a few people have had problems with hospitals and nursery's saying they don't use cloth because its unhygenic which is rubbish! The dirty nappies are sealed in a wetbag out of everyones way whereas the nappy bins are on the ground where little hands can get to them. If they insist on having nappy sacks then you can even get those which are washable (available from Babykind)
:

What aload of rollocks, my hospital has 3 huge nappy bins (inserts, pockets and liners) in every room on the mat ward, they certainly wouldn't be allowed if it were unhygenic!

I would imagine one of our CMs might know the rules. But I honestly can't see that they'd have a leg to stand on, they can't tell you how to dress or feed your child, so how can they tell you how to nappy your child!

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:46 am

There is nothing specific to say that a nursery has to use cloth nappies if you ask them to but they have to accept alternative lifestyles and that should include your choice of nappies. As you are having to pay for the disposables I find it hard to believe that they can force you to use a particular type and as you say you are only asking them to take off a dirty nappy and put it in a bag rather than a bin.

This is an article from the Real Nappy Association:

Nursery changes mind about cloth nappies Brenda Jones, a real nappy using Mum, challenged
her nursery's attitude to cloth nappies when her 15 month old was initially refused entry because of
wearing them. The reason given was that using real nappies in the nursery would be 'unhygienic' and
that there were no facilities for sluicing them. After taking the matter further by contacting social
services, environmental health and OFSTED, Brenda Jones found out that there is no official
policy in place in terms of what type of nappy children should wear. OFSTED said that it's
basically up to the nursery. When Brenda reported this news back to the nursery and sat down with the
manager to explain about real nappies it was decided to allow her to use them on her baby.
Brenda writes: 'The nursery hadn't actually checked with environmental health, they had just gone off
things they had been told in the past... They have refused children before because they wear cloth
nappies and I told her I was sad that I'd had to fight and that they should keep up to date with what's
going on. I was quite proud of myself but I had to do it because it's something that I believe in. I hope
that it will open the door to other children and the parents won't have to fight like I did. Basically the
nursery was misinformed and didn't check for themselves.'

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat