hf1

Mini sewing machine? will it work?

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Mini sewing machine? will it work?

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:03 pm

i am looking for a sewing machine as cheaply as possible to make some cloth nappies, doing it by hand at the moment and its taking me forever, short of paying £60+ for a new one (looked everywhree for second hand ones with no luck)
argos to a couple "mini" ones, has anyone got one of these? can they tell me if they would be any good?

heres the link for them
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... ACHINE.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... ACHINE.htm

does anyone know if they have just a straight stith on them? or a couple different ones?

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Mini sewing machine? will it work?

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:08 pm

I have the JML easy stitch and I don't rate it much., It's ok for repairs but not good for making stuff (I bought it to make dolls clothes with)

My avatar
bedheaduk
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby bedheaduk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:04 pm

I've not used either but my gut feeling is that they would both struggle to get through the multiple layers of fabric that you'd need for making nappies.
xx

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:00 pm

bedheaduk wrote:I've not used either but my gut feeling is that they would both struggle to get through the multiple layers of fabric that you'd need for making nappies.
xx

wss

it would be worth saving to get a better machine - its something you'll have for years - mines 22 years old now - so will no doubt pay for itself many times over eventually

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:04 pm

I would say you definately get what you pay for with sewing machines and as pp said, you would be best saving a little bit to buy a more expensive machine if you are going to use it to make things rather than just for occasional repairs

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:53 pm

I got one of Ebay is not a mini one does 8 stitches was only £8 plus p and p will look up the seller for you if you like think they had a few more think they are ex stock or something?
but works?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 pm

The second one is rated slightly better in the reviews, but I'm not sure that either would be strong enough to handle several layers of nappy fabric etc. Its also handy to have a zig-zag stitch in addition to a straight stitch, so you can sew stretchier fabrics and go over the edges of fraying fabrics.

My sewing machine was around £150 (although they do come cheaper, i was lucky enough to get mine for Christmas!) and will last for years and is reliable enough to use for most sewing projects. Its come in handy many times when I've wanted to make curtains, tableclothes, napkins, cot sheets, pillowcases, aprons, shorten jeans, repair clothes and bedlinen, and make nappies, toys etc. Last week I recycled jeans and t-shirts into maternity jeans and bump bands! So I'm defintely getting my money's worth out of it and I'm not sure a cheaper, "mini" machine could have coped with all that!

Defintely worth saving up for one (or making heavy suggestions towards christmas time :wink: ), or seeing if you can get a good condition second hand one. Some shops have sales after Christmas when newer models come out. If none of those are options though, you can get some preloved mini sewing machines on ebay that dont cost too much, so you wont be wasting as much if it doesn't live up to your expectations!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat