Newborn nappy question

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Newborn nappy question

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:42 am

Hey all,

I've been thinking (yes, I know - that's dangerous! ;)), and for our LO due in Feb I was thinking about using muslin squares as pre-folds under a close fitting wrap (have two first size ME rikki's and a small lovely fleecey lovebums) as I figure they'll be slim fitting and more than enough to cope with those 'ickle newborn wees, plus as LO won't be wriggling to much they'll stay in place fine. Once LO's out of the small wraps, I was going to switch to a two parter - have fluffles and medium ME airflow wraps from DS and got on with this fine - as I find this great for those runny poos!

This should last until 8 months or so if DS is anything to go by, just in time for pockets to give a good fit (and weaning to help with consistency at the other end! ;)).

Sound like a plan?

Sarah
x

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Newborn nappy question

Postby flutterby » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 am

all sounds good if lo is a light wetter, but that wouldn't have worked in a million years on my 2,i've not heard any good things about muslins, personally i'd go for bamboo terries if you want cheap and slim

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:17 am

I used muslins and tiny prefolds (they were preemie so smaller than the green edged JJ ones) and that did us till about 7/8 weeks when he started fitting into his puddlekins and goodmama's :)

Good Luck and congratulations!! :wine:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:19 am

Muslins wouldn't have worked on my 3 either but they do for some. I'd get some muslins and some bamboo terry squares as well to start with.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:19 am

i stand corrected

[ Mobile Post ] Image

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:20 am

Hi , muslins may be ok for a few weeks but they grow so quickly .My ds is breastfed and only did a poo every 4 days or so but was a marathon wetter, and so we used bamboo prefolds which were great and now use then in our pockets. Size 1 prefolds are just the right size in my pockets , i dont need to buy size 2`s.
Rikki`s on newborns are fab though.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:21 am

I only found that the muslins worked in that time becuase he poop'd so often and was changed every hour or 1.5hrs! I dont know how they would have lasted for longer periods than that though...

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:30 am

Hmm, maybe I'll have to rethink the muslins then! I have a pile of regular terries here that I use as emergency nappies for DS, but thought they might be bulky on a newborn. Maybe I'll boil the cotton terries and use them as tea-towels and get some bamboo terries - they'll be an emergency back up for DS, plus will come in handy for our second LO! :D

Once LO starts to fill out a bit I'll head for my fluffles, but they'd be SO big on a newborn that I thought I'd try something else. With DS I used 'sposies until he was 8 weeks or so, so he went straight into the fluffles, but don't want to wait that long with this LO.

Sarah
x

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:15 pm

bamboo terries make fantastic newborn nappies, we used 40cm ones, which are just the right size for nb nappies, but if you want to use them on your ds too i'm sure 60cm would work really well too, i used mine boosted with hemp and they lasted through the night when she was smaller

[ Mobile Post ] Image

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat