hf1

liners for newborn nappies?

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

liners for newborn nappies?

Postby mabo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:50 am

Not sure if this is in the right section but it covers too many options...

Anyway, I'd like to give cloth a go from birth but am sooooo unsure about those horrid meconium poos. I know the hospital is supposed to provide cloth nappies so will use those to start with I guess, but seeing as I am not looking at staying more than 1 whole day/night at most, I'll have to use my own before it changes with BM.

So are liners the solution to stain problems? I have enough fleece to make loads of small liners but would it still leak through them? I'd probably just chuck them as I dont fancy having to wash the meconium with the rest of the nappies (I'm happy doing it with BM poos) as I have visions of it just ending smeared all over them because its just so sticky :-? :giggle:

Or should I just get some flushable liners instead?

My avatar
vampiredreams
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: liners for newborn nappies?

Postby vampiredreams » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:16 am

i used fleece liners that i chucked...A cheap old fleece blanket cut up...spose you could use sposie liners but can't comment on if they'd stop staining

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:20 pm

Do you know i never had a problem with the meconium staining Poppy's nappies, i used fleece and minky liners and everything just washed right out. I've found it more difficult to keep the nappies stain free since she started with yellow poop. lol

Oh and the meconium poo isn't quite so difficult to deal with in cloth compared to sposies either...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:11 pm

TBH I found bf poo stained the nappies and liners more than meconium did. I used dark coloured fleece liners just incase but never had any problems with stains anyway.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:10 pm

The meconium nappies dont usually last for too long anyway, you probably wouldn't get very far through a packet of disposable liners if you bought them! If you use cheap fleece liners then it seems softer for baby's bum (i dont think meconium would leak through the fleece, but might leak off it if they weren't big enough) but its perhaps less environmentally friendly to throw them away after one use rather than use paper ones? and as for staining, fleece doesn't stain easily anyway so as long as you dont mind the job of getting the sticky meconium off the fleece, then you shouldn't have too many problems anyway. There's always the option of using a paper liner on top of a fleece one!

I think i have some paper liners lying about, I could send them to you for free?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:24 pm

I was just going to say paper liners over fleece would work, but Gayle beat me too it, she's on the ball tonight :giggle: :giggle:

At our local hospital they provide cloth, which is fab, they have XS fuzzis, and paperliners, and not a single one there had the slightest stain, and they have obviously seen a lot of meconium, Summer's first poo covered the whole nappy, a fleece liner wouldnt have stopped it, as it would have all seeped round and under, but the the nappy is spotless now, Steph can even vouch for me as she borrowed my XS fuzzis lol!

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Thankyou Moderators :)

Postby Allie » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:31 pm

I used fleece liners and didn't have any problems with staining :)

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:09 pm

I didnt use resuables in the early days so cant comment on the meconium, but i must say that my daughters poo does stain fleeces :giggle: Shes bf mostly, although taking 2-3 formula bottles a day now too, and her poos are very yellow/green, and fairly runny. It soaks straight into the fleece liners, and unless its taken off immediately, it will seep onto the nappy underneath. However I do wash them within a couple of hrs while theyre still wet, in bio powder, and as a result i dont have any stained nappies :mrgreen:

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:07 am

Thanks everyone!
I also googled it and it does seem that BM poo stains worse than the meconium does so I'll make some fleece liners and wash them.

Also thanks for the offer of sending some paper liners Gayle, but I think I'll just stick with fleece ones. :D

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat