hf1

finally decide to sell all my nappies - but out of touch ,..

My avatar
artichoke
Clothie
Clothie

finally decide to sell all my nappies - but out of touch ,..

Postby artichoke » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi all

My children have been out of nappies for quite a while and i have finally accepted that i will not behaving a third child - i am nearly 44 :oops: and count my blessings that i do have 2 wonderful healthy children the first by ivf....

anyway - i have been clinging onto my nappies in case we did have a third and now i finally come to sell them i find that everything has changed ie no selling on ebay, the old forums i used to use have closed down ie honeybeez and even the nappies have changed to bamboo and new ones i have never heard of.

I have loads of nappies as used to be an addict when mine were small - the joy of a line of nappies drying in the sun after 5 years of infertility :wine: :wine: :wine:

anyway - can anyone point me in the right direction re selling my nappies - i have been trying to find up to date prices but am having problems because i can't even remember the names of some of my nappies - especially the WAHM ones...

and even the big brand ones like my original tots bots don't seem to be very popular anymore having been overtaken by newer fabrics....

i have posted some fuzzi's for sale - as i do know what they are called :D but i think i have overpriced them...

i don't want to rip people off - but i am very out of touch with the nappy market...

is half the original price a rough price to go for and then go lower if condition not great?

any advice appreciated - i have literally hundreds of nappies here as have my own plus my sisters to sell....

my other thought is about the wool wraps - i only used wool at night with my ds as he had excema - but if i wash them all before lisitng then they will not be lanolised as i don't have any lanolin left - will this be a problem ?

thanks for listening.... it's quite emotional finally selling my nappies :( i am sitting looking at the tiny newborn nappies .....just wondering what if..

I got rid of all the baby clothes ages ago - i wonder why it is harder to get rid off the nappies :-?

thanks for any advice

edited to add - can some one point me in right direction for abbreviations for the condition of nappies eeeuc etc.....

art

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: finally decide to sell all my nappies - but out of touch ,..

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi!

It can be difficult to sell nappies that are older or not in great condition, which is unfortunate really :-? Buyers like to have pics of the nappies, so it may not matter if you can't really remember the names of them. (If you post pics, someone on here may be able to tell you what some of them are anyway!) Very commercial brands like fuzzis, motherease and tots bots tend to be more difficult to sell as well (as opposed to nice WAHM nappies) unless the prices are quite low.

If you're not too fussy about how much you get for them, then after suggesting prices for them, just say that you will accept reasonable offers too. You can always keep discounting them on the classified thread until you get them sold. Or discounts/free postage if they buy a certain number of nappies? You may find that older, more used nappies (and fabrics such as plain terry or flannel) may not sell easily at all regardless of the price, if you find this is the case then you could offer them free for postage or with other nappies that people have bought, and there are also a couple of charities that will accept them.

Newborn nappies tend to sell well if they are a good price (because they are used for such a short time, buying new ones can't always be justified!) If you wash the wool wraps in a gentle wash (like baby bath or olive soap) then the lanolin wont necessarily all be washed out, but most wool users will relanolise at some point anyway so this is usually not a problem.

and :hug: it can't be easy selling on nappies when you've had wishes of using them again yourself...

ETA: with regards to abbreviations etc,

EUC excellent used condition
(EEUC, EEEUC just means better than this, good explanation of nappies that really have only been used a handful of times)
GUC good used condition
BN Brand new

other nappies could be "well loved but still plenty of life" or "extremely well used but still usable!" etc, remember to mention any stains, fraying, tears, dodgy elastic or anything that needs repaired, and pics of these can help a buyer decide.

My avatar
artichoke
Clothie
Clothie

Postby artichoke » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 pm

hi

thanks for the reply..

yes i know i need photos - but DH has been working away this weekend and had the camera with him - he has just arrived back and gone to get a take away and a bottle of wine..

i will take photos later and yes someone may be able to identify the WAHM ones....

i am not bothered about the money really - it just would be good to know they are going to be used again...and obviously some money would be good in the run up to christmas - but i just want to get an idea of how to price them...

any ideas re the price of an original style tots bots size 1? They have never been tumbled so are hard - but i am sure they would come up really fluffy in a tumble dryer - maybe i need to go round and borrow one :wink: i used them for 6 months on dd but only for 2 months on ds as he outgrew them quickly... so they are good condition apart from the line drying hardness..

i know if i sent to a charity shop they would not put them on sale...

and yes i will freecycle / free for postage the worst / basic ones... the ones i bought second hand and did not get on with..

it is actually really nice now as they are all over the table and on the floor in different bags and ds and dd keep getting them out and asking whose it was and how old they were when they wore them......and dd has got the photo album out to find photos of her at those ages to see if she is wearing them....

it is a really good together moment ..

thanks again

art

I am fascinated by the new ones availalbe and it is amazing how quick the nappy market moves on my DD is only nearly 6 and ds 4 but there are so many new fabrics now...

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:31 pm

as gayle has said most of us liek to have pics i knwo i won't buy anythign befor seeing pic cotton nappies can be very very hard to shift and prefolds and terry sqaures i think i am in the minority in using terry sqaures still but haven't seen any nice thick one for sale and have been lookign for mths

My avatar
artichoke
Clothie
Clothie

Postby artichoke » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:39 pm

hi babyjjbaby

i used terry squares as the stuffing in fuzzi's and wonderoos as well as using terry squares as my "camping holiday" nappy.

What size and makes are you looking for ?

I was not going to list the terrys as i thought they would be to heavy to post and no one uses them these days!

i will go and see what mine are like..they have never been tumbled so are not soft ..

art

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:51 pm

oh fab i would need 60cm size and am open to anythign apart from mothercare boots or junior joy lol

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:20 pm

Gayle seems to have covered everything, I just thought I'd add that usednappies.co.uk is a great place for shifting more well known brands, tots bots, fuzzis, motherease etc

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 pm

I can't imagine many charity shops putting them out, unless they felt they were decent enough condition to sell on anyway...but there are charities (some are listed on the forum, I'll see if I can find links for you) that will happily take most kinds of nappies and in fact prefer terries and prefolds, wraps etc!

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Its so hard to get rid of the baby stuff.I got rid of all baby related stuff on my 45th birthday thinking that after many years of trying for a 3rd and 4 miscarriages that was it :( I now find myself at nearly 47 holding my 3rd son and not really believing how lucky i am.
Good luck and you never know :hug:
Tracy x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat