Nappy Advice Needed

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Nappy Advice Needed

Postby Cyrillia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:48 pm

Hi All,

Well my cotton tots bots arrived today and I must say I'm not impressed! I thought they'd be like the fluffles in that you could fold the fold-in pad inside the little pocket, but that they'd just be trimmer - but there's no pocket! Getting a wrap, nappy and liner underneath a DS who hates having his nappy changed was an ordeal for both of us! :x

To make matters worse, the lovely Blueberry Minky wrap that I thought would be lovely and trim goes nowhere near him over the nappy, even though I bought the right size so I've had to put a WN wrap over it for now but we've now gone back to that really baggy bum look that I don't like - he's only a small boy, and at the moment it looks as though this nappy is starting at his knees and ending at his waist! :giggle:

Where can I go next?

I am starting to think that fitted nappies are going to be the way to go, but I don't know where to start. He's fairly heavy wetting, which is why I was going to go back to the nappy and PUL wrap rather than the pockets, so perhaps WNNN would do the trick, but what could I put over them? Before our day nappies are sorted I don't even want to think about a night nappy just yet... :shock:

Sarah
x

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Nappy Advice Needed

Postby mamaellie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm having a lot of luck right now with fleece over our fitted nappies. TBH nothing that's trim-looking seems to be absorbent enough, but I don't mind the bubble bum look.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:27 pm

hi there we have some tots we still use, not alot to suggest for an older boy except to remember the boy fold in the sewn in booster, fold it in half and in half again so it sits in front of his winky, u may find less bulk behind his bum then, also means there is more there to soak up wee too :wink:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:39 pm

If you want absorbency without bulk, bamboo might be the way forward for you. Something like WNNL can be good value, if you opt for plain ones. Otherwise they do come up preloved quite frequently. Recommendations depend on your budget, I suppose. I use OBV nappies and don't really find they give my skinny minnie an enourmous bum (just a big cloth one! :giggle: ), but they're a bit more expensive than cotton Tots Bots. Can't help with the wraps, really. We don't use them any more and I mainly used WN ones when we did. (We use wool full time instead.)

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:07 pm

If you want absorbency without bulk, bamboo might be the way forward for you. Something like WNNL can be good value, if you opt for plain ones.

This is exactly what I've just done! Great minds think alike eh... ;):giggle:

I've just ordered three plain for now, with the original (untopped) inserts, but have e-mailed WN to see if the topped would be better. Am going to try a Rikki wrap over the top for now, as I had great success with them over our old, bulky fluffles, so am hoping that over a slimmer nappy they'd be even better - we shall see though... With the gusset they don't sit on the thighs like the airflow/WN style baggier wraps do so am hoping they'll be a lot better. I'd like to give wool a try, but want to get a good nappy sorted as a starting point. :)

Fingers crossed! I'm going to have a good destash of my pockets and a few other things to pay for it all should it work! :giggle:

Sarah
x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:30 pm

WNNL are lovely and not at all bulky, baby beehinds are also great, we use them overnight. Can't help on the wrap front though I never use them, we use wool of fleece only. x

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:34 pm

If you like the idea of folding the booster bit inside a fleece pocket then you might want to take a look at the easy peasy range.

They do bimbles (cotton) and bambeasy (bamboo) and are fleece lined with a flap out booster to aid drying so a bit like fluffles in that sense.

My avatar
Cyrillia
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Cyrillia » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks for the input all - I'm determined to get to the bottom of these issues, so all of your suggestions are really welcome! :hug:

Sarah
x

My avatar
mummymel
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby mummymel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:38 pm

I find the WNNL very absorbant and trim too. definately one of my favourites. Charlie sometimes wears them overnight tooo if his other night nappies are in the wash.
My trimest nappies though are my itti's and they still work fab :)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat