hf1

NCT and lack of cloth knowledge (bit of a rant....sorry)

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

NCT and lack of cloth knowledge (bit of a rant....sorry)

Postby Rutella » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:57 am

Hi,
I had an NCT class the other night and we were talking (among other things) about nappies, just basic how the poo changes in the first week and how to change a nappy stuff, but with a v v v brief and uninformed mention of cloth. Basically the leader said 'oh and you might be thinking of using cloth, but of course the environmental impact isn't any better than with disposables cos of washing and they only come in one size so they don't fit as well, but some people like to use them" and showed a meos and poss a mc smart nappy (not actually seen these in the flesh b4) but didn't pass them round or anything and then one of other mamas-to-be said "yeah and you can't use them at night" and another (a GP!) said "and they give the baby nappy rash" and she just nodded :evil: :x

I tried to butt in and dispute everything but we were really pushed for time, it was right at the end of the class and everyone had to leave. I managed to fit in about the council inventive here (£50 odd quid cash or putting that to using a nappy laundry service) and another m2b mentioned nappucinos...at which point the leader said that someone had offered to come and talk properly about cloth but they didn't have the time. But I didn't get the chance to point out everything that was wrong, and as my dh (who was also trying to dispute the environmental impact stuff) said to me afterwards, it prob wouldn't really work well coming from us against what she was saying (especially as I had brought in my wraps and slings earlier and so everyone thinks I'm a weird hippy anyway :roll: ).

Now I understand that time is v pressed in our classes, we almost always run over and I know that I could talk about cloth for ages so I can see why they mightn't want someone to come in to talk properly, but I was really annoyed at everything else. At the bare minimum I thought we would have 5 mins or so to see some diff cloth, say a bg or other pocket nappy, a couple of fitteds (one size and sized, in say bamboo, cotton and mf to see the difference), and maybe a handout with some basic info on real nappies, incl dispelling myths, how to use and how to wash. I like our leader and I didn't want to have a go at her, but I wanted to contact the NCT and ask them to improve their training of volunteers about cloth. I was going to send them a link to the revised environmental impact survey (which might be flawed but at least now recognises the environmental benefits), but I wondered if anyone had any other good links to 'dispell cloth myths' which I could send them. Pref ones not on manufacturers or retailers sites though as I figure they may see that as advertising?

Anyway. Mini rant over. Hopefully when my bubs is here and happy in his/her cute cloth bum (fingers crossed :wink: ) then I can win some people over :lol:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Re: NCT and lack of cloth knowledge (bit of a rant....sorry)

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:07 pm

I wrote an article on cloth that was published in our NCT branch newsletter (Barnsley & Penistone). I am more than happy to send you a copy of it, if you like. :)

ETA: Grrrr to your branch not being more cloth friendly. Ours is very. There are always loads of real nappies for sale at the NCT NNS.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Soupdragon wrote:I wrote an article on cloth that was published in our NCT branch newsletter (Barnsley & Penistone). I am more than happy to send you a copy of it, if you like. :)

ETA: Grrrr to your branch not being more cloth friendly. Ours is very. There are always loads of real nappies for sale at the NCT NNS.

Ohhh did you? Could I have a look at it?

Rutella wrote: but I wondered if anyone had any other good links to 'dispell cloth myths' which I could send them. Pref ones not on manufacturers or retailers sites though as I figure they may see that as advertising?

Your welcome to send them to the info section on the main site on here (we dont' sell anything :wink: ). I need to update some of the articles but there are ones on cost etc that may be of use

http://www.clothnappytree.com/infos.php

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:45 pm

we went to an nct sale and i noticed they had nothing on cloth (they had advertising stalls upstairs) i was quite miffed as i thought an organisation like that would have some info, i love it when people say they hate cloth coz i have so many comments to fire back at them :wink: for instance u don't get yucky crystal spillage with cloth and well, i think if u take the time with cloth it kinda imo means u care a bit more about what u put next to ur lo's skin, there r no nasty smells when i change my son, yet omg have u smelt a nappy bin in any changing rooms in town?omg they smell sooooooo nasty! u give it to em girl, someone should. also nowadays it ain't ur grannies cloth, it's so much better than that! :wink:

My avatar
Rutella
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Rutella » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Soupdragon wrote:I wrote an article on cloth that was published in our NCT branch newsletter (Barnsley & Penistone). I am more than happy to send you a copy of it, if you like. :)

Thanks I'd love to see the article, I think that could be really useful

I went to a nns the other day and they had one pack of meos fs, but it was under a table and practically hidden away, no chance to see it at all so I can't see how anyone would have been interested unless they already knew that they wanted them and hunted them out?

I will also link to this site thanks! I actually forgot that there was stuff other than the forum on here :oops:
I might mention some stuff about nappies next week if there is time (it's our last session), and poss bring a couple of my nappy stash......

My avatar
fimc
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby fimc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:47 pm

Would you be able to send it to me also?

My NCT classes were great in so many ways, but cloth nappies weren't even mentioned. Which is a shame cos if they had I may have started much earlier than 3 months. Ah well. I'm hoping I'll sell the other girls on it now with his gorgeous bum :wink:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:14 pm

whats nct? :oops:

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
clothpixie
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clothpixie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:20 pm

dawnsmummy wrote:whats nct? :oops:

[ Mobile Post ] Image

http://www.nctpregnancyandbabycare.com/home :wink:

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Not cloth, sorry, but a friend has been doing NCT classes and she was asking me some questions that she had after a two hour lesson on breatfeeding. What shocked me was they seemed to have told them nothing useful in those two hours, e.g. two types of milk, what happens when your milk comes in etc :-?

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat