hf1

NCT and lack of cloth knowledge (bit of a rant....sorry)

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: NCT and lack of cloth knowledge (bit of a rant....sorry)

Postby kermitgirl » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:23 pm

I do talks at NCT classes, the teacher invites us to come half an hour before the class is due to start and people can come early if they want to. She has got new cloth nappies for her demo baby and for her "types of baby poo" demo (marmite and mustard) :D

Two of the other teachers are not so keen, and offer the extra talks "You wouldn't like a talk about cloth nappies would you?" Not exactly enouraging!

My avatar
litlestar
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby litlestar » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Our NCT Tutor brought a kooshie with her and that did get passed around at the last session after the disposable demo on the dolls. she said she had used cloth on her youngest, but didn't really announce it to the class, though we did have a short discussion about cloth and the pros/cons ie environment and washing etc.

so many people are wary of the environmental impact of nappies but forget that even eco-disposible still end up in landfill my Sil looked as some eco-sposies when we were in boots the other day, she could not believe how expensive they were, she actually changed her mind based on the price as huggies/pampers do better bulk buy deals!!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:30 pm

I contacted all the local NCT branches round here about weather or not I could come in to some of their classes and do a talk and offer some free advice. Got a straight no from one and no replies from others. :roll:

Nobody round here is supportive of cloth or knows anything about it. It really annoys me.

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:25 pm

My NCT promote cloth locally and are great - really nice, friendly and welcoming :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:56 pm

There isn't an NCT group near me so I've never been to one, but I have offered to give talks/do demos at SureStart groups and toddler groups, all of which have been declined. The toddler groups made the point that most of the mums weren't pregnant and probably not interested in cloth, but how are people supposed to find out about these things if they're not given the opportunity? And many of the mum's have under ones, and some are pregnant or will be in the near future. I also asked to put up posters in local health centres, doctor's surgeries, the hospital, library etc, but they wouldn't put them up because I had "nappy agent" on the poster which implied I made money from it.

I tend to just put woollies on Molly when we go to groups and when someone comments on her "lovely trousers" I mention that they go over her cloth nappies, dig a Goodmama/WN pocket/Blueberry out of my bag and mention I can do demo's if she's interested :giggle: It only worked once though :roll:

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat