hf1

Advice on wraps please!

My avatar
kurlysmum
Clothie
Clothie

Advice on wraps please!

Postby kurlysmum » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:59 am

:( I am so unhappy with my cloth nappies at this moment in time, you see my little girl is 5 half months but has quite a podgy belly! we are having major problems with wraps! they are either too big or too small I am yet to find a great fit on her for containment!
I have always used mothercare smart nappies but she has outgrown medium-and is leaking at the legs with the large as these are too big at present! :-?
I have tried prefolds with bambinio mio wraps,aio babyland pockets,tots bots and have several types of wraps but they all leak at the legs,she also sleeps on her tum and so is often soaking wet at her tum area needing a complete change of clothes after her naps! I do keep her nappy regularly changed but the problem is with naps and trips out etc....
I am spending way too much on nappies and wraps at present but still cannot find the nappy that is right for us.. :(

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Advice on wraps please!

Postby megansmummy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:06 am

There are so many to try and so many different shapes of LO's :hug:

Have you only tried the smart nappies and prefolds? Maybe a shaped nappy would be better for your daughter? There are so many to try and there is a good list here...
http://www.babykind.co.uk/nappymain.htm

We find shaped nappies with wool is our best option, so we use the nappy and then use longies or shorties etc over the top rather than a wrap. If we do use a wrap then we use motherease rikki or airflow :)

We have the best luck with bamboo fitted nappies such as puddlekins and goodmama's but it really is about trial and error...you could always buy second hand from the classifieds here to try without spending a fortune :hug:

ETA< as for leaky wraps...the wrap is really only as good as the nappy inside it...is the nappy soaking wet when the wrap leaks? It could be that they are getting to wet and then leaking? Sometimes a quick burst in the tumble drier for wraps can help re-seal the pul. Prefolds arnt great for containment becuase they have no edges, but you could try different folds (google prefold folds) with a pin or nippa for better containment...

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am

We dont use wraps much but i find the Wee notions ones good as they have poppers for the leg and waist so you can get a better fit rather than just aplix.

We use shaped fitteds such as Wee Notions Northern Lights, Goodmamas, Dunk N Fluff and Holdens landing, to name but a few. And again, we use wool mostly over our fitteds - we've never had a leak using our wool :wink:

You can pick up cheap shaped nappies and wool in the classifieds here :wink:

We never got on with Tots bots and the like, by 8 weeks old DD was out pee-ing the bamboo ones in less than 2 hours and the wrap would leak at the bindings :( i tried loads of other makes and found some we got on with and changed my stash over. We also use dedicated night nappies as day nappies didnt cut it at night no matter how much i boosted it!

Hope you can sort it hun, have you tried boosting the nappy more if its completely sodden after 3/4 hours? Or stripping your nappies? There may be build up of detergent causing them not to be as absorbent causing leaks.

Sarah x

My avatar
lealea
Clothie
Clothie

Postby lealea » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:38 pm

We use Nature Babies PUL wraps during the day as they have leg gussets which are great at containment. These are the best ones I have tried - didn't get on with ME as they left red marks on DD's thighs.

I prefer wool overnight, PUL never worked for us that length of time. I have 2 Disana wool soakers for night time use and have had no leaking problems at all since I started using them. The nappy can be soaked and the wool is still dry on the outside.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat