Cloth in Nurseries - Scotland

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Cloth in Nurseries - Scotland

Postby busybee » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi All

I am looking for some info from my fellow Scottish cloth users. I volunteer for Glasgow Real Nappy Network and it has been brought to our attention that the Care Commission is about to recommend that Nurseries don't use cloth because of drainage/hygiene issues (don't ask me what the 'drainage' issue is, I've still to read the report!). We are trying to establish which Nurseries in Scotland are using cloth and if
> 1. parent take them home and wash
> 2. they launder on site
> 3. they use an external laundry

Also, do any of you know if your nurseries are adhering to (or are aware of!) the
> Nursery Best Practice Guide and /or their laundry system are adhering to the guidance of PAS 106 and HSG (95) 18, these are guidelines set out by the NHS on the washing of used linen.

Any info you can give would be greatly appreciated guys, I need to feed this back to a Nappy Network meeting in a couple of weeks. Reply here or PM me.

My avatar
fimc
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Cloth in Nurseries - Scotland

Postby fimc » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:12 am

:shock: I'll watch this thread with interest. We're currently looking for a nursery for Cam for when I go back to work next year, and one of the key things we'll be asking is that they are happy to use our cloth during the day with him. I would not be happy if they end up not being allowed to - how is that an eco step forward??

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:37 am

The Scottish Government won't be happy with that! I worked bl**dy hard (on a full time voluntary basis as a member of the SRNN) with WRAP, SWAG and the Scottish Government to get cloth into hospitals and nurseries. Actually GRNN had a lot of help from me in getting set up too. :wink:

I would get in touch with Waste Aware Scotland and take it from there.

Gggr, now I am mad. :x

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:01 pm

Ella uses cloth nappies at Somerset Parkgrove nursery in Glasgow, right beside Kelvingrove Park. Somerset have 3 nurseries in the charing cross area. That was an major point for me deciding on the nursery in the first place. They are great, they use her cloth wipes as well and she gets through 5-6 nappies a day there. Never had a problem and if they made an issue of it I'd pull her out of the nursery I feel so strongly about it. I've had issues twice in a year of them not changing her enough, which isn't bad going really.

I basically take her change bag in each day and take it home at night with the used nappies then wash them as I normally would that evening or the next morning. I don't think they use cloth on any other LOs there though. She only goes in Monday Tuesday, but even when she was full time I jut rotated her nappies so it was very easy to send her in with cloth.

The nurseries that annoy me are the ones that include sposies in the price. We work in Skypark and there is a nursery there that not only costs a lot more, but presumably also make a profit on the disposables they are providing. That just seems like a really bad thing as with any operating cost they'd try to keep it to a minimum and I don't feel they would change LO as often as I wanted because that one of their overheads then. Just the fact they'd have that policy on including sposies means I wouldn't send my child there as their whole philosophy is likely to be wrong for us. They're good as well where they use metanium if her bum is a bit red or spotty and let us know.

I doubt that I'd prefer they washed nappies on site as I'd rather just take ownership of that myself tbh.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:07 pm

And if the care commission did actually recommend not to use cloth in nurseries I'd be quite vocal formally in writing to said nursery and the care commission.

It's just red tape recommendations half the time. The other week the nursery said they couldn't give Ella calpol unless a GP prescribed it, which was utter nonsense and they'd still be having to make a judgement call to dispense it even if the GP prescribed it or I supplied it over the counter. There is good reason calpol is an over the counter medication. Ella spent all day in pain because of a mix up, then it turned out care commission had actually relaxed the guideline, not the other way around just one of the assistants had it wrong. :roll: If anything I hope using cloth has opened the nursery workers eyes up a bit to why cloth is much better.

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:38 pm

Rowan is in nursery full time and has always been in cloth as was Toby when he was in the baby room. I provide a small nappy bucket each day and take it home each night to wash them. The girls will also sluice the nappies if necessary.
The nursery were looking into providing cloth for all their babies but have yet to make a final decision on that. Tbh I think I would still prefer to send in my own cloth.
If the Care Commission do go through with this then I will be another one sending a strongly worded letter. So much for equal opportunities and respecting the parents right to choose.

Cathleen xx

My avatar
busybee
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby busybee » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Thanks for replying guys! I will keep you updated on the outcomes. It will be a complete disgrace if this goes ahead, but I actually won't be surprised. My sister just registered as a childminder and she, obviously, had a policy on supporting and actively encouraging parents to use cloth. She was told by her care commission officer that cloth nappies contravened health and hygiene rules!! :shock: She was desperate to get her registration so removed the policy, much to my disgust :roll: . I said she should have questioned it but I do understand why she just wanted to get going. She is going to speak to the Care commission officer now to ask about implimenting a policy on real nappies.

How can a nappy bucket or wet bag be any more dangerous than a kitchen bin full of poo filled sposies??? :gaah: :gaah:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat