hf1

Childcare and nappies

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Childcare and nappies

Postby Lynni » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Dd is going to CM once a week as I'm studying part-time at our local college. I'm looking to begin work during the day the rest of the week. When I spoke to her about cloth, she said she would prefer her in disposables for ease :x against better judgement I've been sending sposies in her bag but because she is really good with her and Faye is coming home happy I've let it slide... Now I want to return to more permanent work I don't want to be sending sposies 4 times a wk, one of the reasons she is in cloth amongst others is the cost issue. Even if CM supplied them I'd still be paying because she'd put her rates up or something to cover the expense

I don't know how to get round it cause I feel like I've kinda already made my bed, when really I didnt want a battle over one day a week :-? I know of others on the board who send their lo's to nursery/cm in cloth, how have you overcome the issue?

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Childcare and nappies

Postby mamaellie » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Do you use pockets? I think when a lot of people who think about cloth and are imagining folding terries and putting on plastic pants (I find a shocking number of people-- even midwives and HVs and sure start workers have this impression) see how easy something like a BG is to put on, and then just stick in a wet bag and send home, they're more open to the idea. If you showed her the setup with a wet bag and a pocket already stuffed and ready to go and maybe then ask if she'd be willing to try it for a day or two, she might be less opposed to the idea. You could also point out that now DD is having to make the change to more full-time care, you want to try to keep things as smooth and seamless as possible, and as she's been in cloth at home most of the time until now, it'd be better for her to continue that way.

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:02 pm

We use fitteds and wraps at home, so I'd have to invest in some bombproof pockets that would have 99% chance of success because we can't really afford to be buying for them not to work.... Even here at home I fold nappies with a liner inside for Dh's benefit so I wouldn't object to stuffing pockets if it meant she would use them.

Would cloth wipes be pushing my luck? The two go hand in hand for us at home and work well, so I'm buying wet wipes as well

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:46 pm

We've not used childcare but when my little boy is in hospital if I'm not sure I'll be in for a nappy change I usually leave a ready stuffed pocket nappy or an easy to put on fitted nappy and wrap or wool and a wetbag and the nurses all manage ok and have never complained (to my face anyway!). Cloth wipes are no more work than disposable wipes either imo (I keep them ready wetted in a tub) as you just take them out of the tub, wipe baby then put wipe in wet bag with nappy and again we've not had any complaints/refusal to use them. Findlay is allergic to the gel in disposable nappies though so he needs to use cloth.

You could always tell a little white lie and say your DD can't wear disps for prolonged periods due to having a reaction :wink: If you show her how simple it is to use cloth she'll prob change her mind

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks. I can't see her going for fitted and wraps, so need to look at some pockets I think. Part of me think she is being paid enough to care for her and should respect my parenting wishes.... Her bum is nicer in cloth though and not just too look at :giggle:

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:26 pm

[quote="Lynni"]Part of me think she is being paid enough to care for her and should respect my parenting wishes...[quote]

I agree completely she is your child and the CM should respect your parenting wishes even if she doesn't agree with them.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:36 pm

I have to say it is tricky - everyone knows I use cloth nappies with my own son, and some of the other minders have cloth with a couple of the mindied children. I know from talking to them the issue is carrying back pooey nappies if they have gone out for the day, even if a wet bag is supplied. But if you had a proper talk to the minder with increasing days perhaps she would be more receptive to the idea as most have never seen a pocket nappy.

My avatar
Lynni
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Lynni » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:54 pm

AnnetteandBen wrote:I have to say it is tricky - everyone knows I use cloth nappies with my own son, and some of the other minders have cloth with a couple of the mindied children. I know from talking to them the issue is carrying back pooey nappies if they have gone out for the day, even if a wet bag is supplied. But if you had a proper talk to the minder with increasing days perhaps she would be more receptive to the idea as most have never seen a pocket nappy.

That was her response when I initially approached the subject with her, if they had been to the park or something and Dd needed a nappy change whilst out.... If I get time tomorrow I'll speak to her about it

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:13 pm

Well with my childminder, I brought a funky weenotion pocket and showed her how easy it was and that it was just like a dispo. She said she'd give it a go and she got on with them very well. She said she had a colleague who had to use fitted (or terry squares|) and wraps and it was a pain. But I left it very flexible and told her that if she didn't want to she didn't have to.

Maybe if you buy a couple of pockets and ask her to do it at one nappy change to start with and if you see she's not too unhappy then build up from that. That way it'll be less threatening to her.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat