hf1

Shall i attempt cloth again

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Shall i attempt cloth again

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:46 pm

nic1 wrote:I *think* i used some minkee liners from PK if i remember rightly in the last attempt at cloth at night and the sores were still there so undecided what to do at this point.

I found that too as no matter how big the liner it did move slightly overnight leaving some wet touching the skin. I don't think you'd have the same problem with a fleece outer Minki or a minkee inner and outer WNNN as there is no chance of any wetness being in contact with the skin. For some reason we only had a problem with sores once Ryan was PT'd during the day too, before that he could wear a fitted with fleece liner overnight with no problems at all.

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

Postby purplehearts » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Some nappy vendors sell raw silk liners at around 3 pounds each which are supposed to be good for sore bums.
I know this is quite a pricy option, but maybe not as your daughter is not using many nappies now.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:10 pm

We can only get away with part time cloth use now Nic - it's a lot better if I use huge fleece liners but there's more of a tendancy to leak if I do :?
Plus hardly anything fits her now - even toddler bedbugs fit like knickers on her but then again she is tall - in age 4-5 clothes mainly...

I am fedup of using disps but I don't think she's ready to be dry at night yet - we've tried and she says she doesn't like them she likes nappies but not matter what I've tried they burn her skin so badly :( :cry: :cry: if they're used for more than 2nights in a row...

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:11 pm

I think once they are PT'd their wee becomes more concentrated as they save it up instead of doing little&often emptying of the bladder... And this is why it burns the skin as we've only had problems since PT too...
And Isabelle's nappies really really stink of ammonia in the mornings and they're washed the same as Grace's and hers are fine... :?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I think once they are PT'd their wee becomes more concentrated as they save it up instead of doing little&often emptying of the bladder... And this is why it burns the skin as we've only had problems since PT too...
And Isabelle's nappies really really stink of ammonia in the mornings and they're washed the same as Grace's and hers are fine... :?

That does make sense. Ryan's nappies really stink too. :puke: Thankfully he is quite skinny so L Standard Minkis have tons of growing room left and he doesn't get sore with them like he did with fitteds and wool.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:17 am

Before you do, have you tried this technique to get her out of night nappies altogether?

Getting dry at night

Very often once a child is dry in the day, dry at night follows pretty well straight away. However, if you are having problems, here’s a technique you might like to try.

Most children will be dry for most of the night, but will wee on waking. Children will often use a nappy just because it’s there, so put your child to bed with nothing at all on their lower half. With nothing on, they often shoot out of bed onto the potty as soon as they start to wake.

Firstly, make your child’s bed in the normal way. Then, over the top of the bottom sheet, place a waterproof sheet across the bed, under the nappy area. On top of this place a thick bath sheet, and over the top of that, place a cot sheet. This draw sheet system is easy to remove and deal with in the morning, should an accident occur!

Secondly, reduce the amount of fluid intake for a couple of hours before bedtime.

Thirdly place your child’s potty right beside the bed, and make sure he knows it’s there!

Fourthly, lift your child onto the potty when you go to bed. They don’t usually really wake up, but usually will perform!

If this technique works, you will probably not need to lift your child for more than a couple of weeks, as he will quickly learn the signs of a full bladder, and wake himself

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:34 am

mumtokirsty wrote:Before you do, have you tried this technique to get her out of night nappies altogether?

Getting dry at night

Very often once a child is dry in the day, dry at night follows pretty well straight away. However, if you are having problems, here’s a technique you might like to try.

Most children will be dry for most of the night, but will wee on waking. Children will often use a nappy just because it’s there, so put your child to bed with nothing at all on their lower half. With nothing on, they often shoot out of bed onto the potty as soon as they start to wake.

Firstly, make your child’s bed in the normal way. Then, over the top of the bottom sheet, place a waterproof sheet across the bed, under the nappy area. On top of this place a thick bath sheet, and over the top of that, place a cot sheet. This draw sheet system is easy to remove and deal with in the morning, should an accident occur!

Secondly, reduce the amount of fluid intake for a couple of hours before bedtime.

Thirdly place your child’s potty right beside the bed, and make sure he knows it’s there!

Fourthly, lift your child onto the potty when you go to bed. They don’t usually really wake up, but usually will perform!

If this technique works, you will probably not need to lift your child for more than a couple of weeks, as he will quickly learn the signs of a full bladder, and wake himself

I don't believe that method will work for most people though unless your child is almost ready to be dry at night anyway.

However, achieving night time control is not simply a learned skill, but rather a physiological development and the control is largely involuntary

Children usually wet the bed at a similar time each night so if you're lucky and lift them at the right time you may not get a wet bed.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:27 pm

For children to be dry at night there is a hormone they need which some kids don't produce until they are 6 or 7 years old so all the lifting in the world isn't going to make any difference...

IF they wet at the same time every night then sure you'll avoid a wet bed by emptying the bladder but that's not really night dry is it...

Also it is NOT recommended to restrict drinks over several hours before bed - sure in the hour before bed but no more...

Oh and Isabelle gets very thirsty at bedtime and it would be extremely cruel to deny her quenching her thirst!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:47 pm

Nic, didnt know if you had throught about trying a fleece/wool wrap instead of pul? it might help?

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat