Nursery and nappies

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Nursery and nappies

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 am

Hello all,

Erin starts nursery 1 day a week on thursday 31st jan. She is having a couple of settling in sessions prior to that so am just trying to sort out everything we need.

I'm guessing a wetbag would be the best thing to send so they can all come back together sort of thing. Only thing is the lining in my wetbag has all ripped and ruined. Any ideas where I can get a cheap one?

Also would you say they'd cope better with poppers or aplix? I reckon aplix is more sposie like but that would mean sending all my yummy happy heinys and I'm more inclined to send the tatty old fuzzis... some are stained though, do you think they'll be funny about that?

Also how many should I send?

Any other tips greatly appreciated. thanks x

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 am

I don't think it will make much difference if you send poppers or applix. I send both in Bella's nappy bag. I'd just make sure you demonstrate how they work when you drop Erin off the first day. I tend to send my beehinds and my home made applix nappies so they have to put up with all sorts.

Bella's nursery suggested sending 6 nappies for a full day, based on changing every two hours plus a couple of spares in case of disasters. They've never had to use all six though.

It's probably worth asking them to dispose of poo like they would with a sposie. It's really rank if you get a bag of nappies back at the end of the day that you've then got to clean poo off. I use paper liners for nursery for this reason, it's easier for them to dump the poo off for me.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:47 am

It's really worth asking if there are any other kids at the nursery using cloth, and what they use. That way you can check out if they are use to poppers etc. The only thing our nursery actually asked for is paper liners, so that's OK. When we were in the baby room, they got 2 parters, wraps with velcro or poppers and they were very good (I didn't try them with nippas). When we got to the toddler room there was a new group of people to show cloth to. I have stuck to sending in velcro - so BG's, HH's and blueberrys (which they can work very well). We have 5 nappies in there, but they normally only use 4 of them (the extra for an emergency). They dispose of the poo into the same contaminated waste bag that all the disposables go into, and if it has come off the paper liner they sometimes soak out the extra poo in a bucket they have.
I bought a bigger wet nappy bag from wee notions, I think babykind had some discounted wet nappy bags, and did ?nic or someone have something for sale on this board?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:05 am

I've got a big bag FS

I think as long as you show them how to use them they should be fine. It's probably easier for them if you just have one type, but as long as you have explained the different types they will manage fine I'm sure.

My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 am

Well they said they have another girl with cloth so I know they already use them.

I didn't even think about them send the poo home too! that is a bit rank lol! I will double check that.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:17 am

We send poppered MEOS as we have the most of these and so can send the same nappies every day. They get on fine with them as they have no other children in cloth so once they were shown these they were fine. We send ME airflow and rikki wraps and they get on fine with both.

I am happier sending 2 parters personally as I know they are very reliable and never wanted to give them an excuse not to like them if they leaked.

We send in paper liners as it is easier for them, and also for me as it means all the poo is disposed of and I don't have to worry about it at home.

I send in 4 or 5 nappies and a spare wrap buth barring an exceptional poo they will only use 3 (change at 10am, 1pm and 4pm).

We do send a wet bag as then all the dirty ones get put in there together but it doesn't matter if it is waterproof as they insist on putting them in plastic bags first :roll: I think they find it easier as the wet bag stays on her peg and they bring the nappy out to it.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 am

We send poppers or aplix - what ever pockets are on the top :wink: I send paper liners as well so any poo can just be thrown away - they asked about that actually. Also they wanted a container for dirty nappies so we send our litte nappy bucket, I'd prefer to use a wet bag (easier to transport) but I was just happy that they agreed to use cloth at all :D

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:24 am

Almost forgot, we send 4-5 nappies but they usually only use 3.

My avatar
skaheadpunk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby skaheadpunk » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:25 am

I send Ruby with Funky Nappies - they can do poppers but I've had her come home too many times with complaints of leaks and a Fuzzi or Pocket Bot hanging off her on the loosest poppers...

4 nappies, usually 3 of which are used, and a wetbag. Yes they do come home poo and all.. though if you had a paper liner I suppose they could just pop that in the loo?

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat