Confused, need help ;)

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Confused, need help ;)

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:45 pm

Hi,

Just started using cloth nappies for my almost 2 years old daughter.
Tried Nature Babies Big Softies with a Bambinex one size wrap but it leaks in a few hours and I guess the wrap is too small for her.
Tried Modern Baby pop in nappy bamboo and the fitting was good but it;s very low on front and leaked very fast, didn't use the dri night booster yet but guess it's just leaking because the lowness.
Tried Bambinex Teddy Nappy but didn't fit with the Bambinex wrap, too small, so don't know about this one.
Tried the Itti Bitti SIO and the fit is great but don;t know how long it will keep dry.
Any advise??

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Confused, need help ;)

Postby happytails » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:56 pm

I havent tried any of those nappies but i advise using nappies that are made with bamboo and/or hemp as these are more absorbent than cotton etc.

We get on with WAHM nappies more than commercial ones. We like Puddlekins, Goodmamas, Upsy daisy and Weenotions nappies, to name a few. Also we use fleece/wool instead of PUL wraps as they are more breathable so some of the wetness will evaporate :wink:

my mind is elsewhere at the moment so sorry for short post, im sure someone will be along shortly to help more :hug:

Sarah x

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Vicki » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:08 pm

How many times have you pre-washed the nappies? There are some basic things to eliminate - make sure they have had 4 prewashes, do not use fabric conditioner, use a decent cover like motherease rikki or air rika (expect would be in large or extra large), make sure no fabric is sticking out of the side of the cover. A 2 year old can wee alot so probably best to boost what you have bought with some bamboo boosters. Fleece covers overnight are good - I use bebesnuggles and pumpkin pants are fab.

Good sized size 2 or larger nappies would suit best - birth to potty don't always fit 2 year olds the best!

HTH

Vicki

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Thanks for giving advise!

I can't use wool because my daughter is allergic but will use naturals as much as possible.

Guess a good wrap is indeed very important and I will look for sized ones instead of the one size.

More ideas are always welcome!

Oh about the washing; I washed them 4 times before use and use Ariel in very small dose, about 30 ml for a full load.
And no tumbledry that;s ok?
Last edited by MissFrodo on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:13 pm

Are all of the nappies new? They will all need prewashing a few times before they reach full absorbency, particularly the pop-in. Bamboo takes 8-20 washes to reach full absorbency.

How often are you changing your LO? Cloth nappies need changing more frequently than most people who use disposables do, around every 2-3 hours.

It also sounds like you may have a heavy wetter. I've just looked at the composition of the big softies and they are made of cotton terry with cotton terry and microfibre boosters so I don't think they look particularly absorbent.

Teddies are also made of microfibre. Microfibre isn't great for heavy wetters as it tends to squish out wee when compressed.

What is the bambinex wrap made of? Cotton outer wraps don't work for a lor of people as cotton wicks the wetness from the nappy very easily.

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:17 pm

8 Washings?? Oke I only did 4 :oops: maybe that it will get better with the bamboo one and will try the extra booster to see if it;s just the low raise.

The Bambinex is not cotton and doesn't leak through it;s just because it's too small for her.

And changing every 2-3 hours :shock: ok I guess I will need to clock :giggle: in future.
Normally she gets one at 8.30 and another change at 12.30 or so, but maybe that;s too long for a cloth.
Wow I'm such a greeny :oops:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:28 pm

MissFrodo wrote:8 Washings?? Oke I only did 4 :oops: maybe that it will get better with the bamboo one and will try the extra booster to see if it;s just the low raise.

The Bambinex is not cotton and doesn't leak through it;s just because it's too small for her.

And changing every 2-3 hours :shock: ok I guess I will need to clock :giggle: in future.
Normally she gets one at 8.30 and another change at 12.30 or so, but maybe that;s too long for a cloth.
Wow I'm such a greeny :oops:

We managed 4 hours in some fitteds we have but i rarely leave a nappy on DD that long (except night times).

hope things improve with more washes :wink:

My avatar
mamaellie
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby mamaellie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:07 pm

You could also buy some hemp boosters (easy peasy do a deal on ebay £10 for 4, I think) and put them between the nappy and the wrap, which will help sop up any excess moisture.
It's definitely trial and error with a heavy wetter and starting out in cloth, but finding the magic combination is fun!

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:47 pm

So getting better nowadays.

Find out the the Modern Baby snap in one works well and the Itti Bitti is fantastic.
The other ones biggest problem is the fit of the wrap so need to change that.
And yes a heavy wetter so now I'm changing more often.

Thanks for helping me out!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat