hf1

am i the only person not that impressed with bamboo?

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

am i the only person not that impressed with bamboo?

Postby angiepangie2809 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 am

hi again.
i know realy this should go in the inserts/boosters section but i thought more people would read the post on this bit so might get more response/advice.

i just dont think that much to bamboo. am using bamboo terry squares folded into four with a hemp booster underneith for ethans night nappies and i just aint that impressed. the bamboo always feels relay sodded and im justnot feeling it at all. am i doing something wrong? is it worth trying a proper bamboo booster instead? or is there anyone else that feels the same?
i want to love it...how funny is that?
can anyone tell me if anything is more absorbant than bamboo..i know hemp is good but its slow to absorb so i could do woth a better top booster. some mirofibre boosters are okish with a hemp undernieth but the best one ive found so far is a cotton terry thick one i got when i purchased a wahm pocket nappy a while ago. problem is i only have one!

any advise or suggestions would be great girlies.
thanks

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: am i the only person not that impressed with bamboo?

Postby wytch » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:18 am

emma at puddlekins has a super booster with zorb/hemp and bamboo.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:26 am

I use bamboo in all the nappies, either with mf on top, or hemp underneath!

For an overnight nappy though I use 2 folded bamboo squares with the hemp underneath, I found 1 square just wasn't enough for the full night :wink:
During the day I use 1 bamboo square with mf or hempo or a bamboo petit dessous insert with mf or hemp

jan x

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:29 am

Hello!in our night nappies we use bamboo terrys too but with the corners all folded towards the centre and then trifolded.we use 1 terry,a pd and 2 ep hemp in a standard minki.makes for a bulky bum tho,i'll have to get a pic!the best bamboo we've found as pd inserts tho,they're great!

[ Mobile Post ] Image

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:00 am

I agree, bamboo terry particularly just isn't that hot - we have better luck with bamboo velour nappies (eg Holden's Landing fitteds rather than WNNLs). Petits Dessous bamboo inserts are quite good, but I usually use at least some hemp. Blueberry OS inserts are pretty good, and one of my favorite combos is a Hemparoo insert (these are fab) with a bamboo booster on top.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:04 pm

I definitely used to prefer the closer knitted, bamboo jersey type to the fluffier bamboo terry for my own kids nappies. I still use it now for CSP and for household cloths lol!

The other natural fabric in the same league as the bamboo/hemp would be Soy. Again though its down to personal preference and the individual child. I found it great for my DD but others find it not so good.

Zorb is highly absorbent but synthetic.....I've never liked it personally as I prefer the natural fabrcis but it does have fantastic absorbing powers lol!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:33 pm

When I first started using cloth nappies, I wasn't too impressed with Bamboo either, but have since found you need to find the right combination of inserts/fabrics to use and the right kind of bamboo fabric.

I'm another who doesn't really like bamboo terry. I much prefer bamboo velour, which is very absorbant, but so much slimmer than bamboo terry, which is extremely bulky.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:39 pm

I use a bamboo square folded in half then half again with a easy peasy hemp under that and popped in a bamboo little lambs at night which works well and I do the same in pockets as well, I do fine PD inserts a bit better though xx

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:57 am

Im using PD inserts too, and find them good when used in combination with an EP hemp underneath, and sometimes a slim mf on top too on a very wet day, and a fleece liner to stay dry. Yes it gives her a mahoooosive bum, but i can get about 3 hrs out of a nappy then :wink:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat