hf1

Washing hands after nappy changes?!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Washing hands after nappy changes?!

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:40 pm

Just thought I would ask, do you routinely wash your hands after changing a nappy?

The reason I am asking is I seem to be the only person at baby clinic who does.

The first time we went there was no soap and I had to lean over Robert who was sat (the chairs were already placed) infront of the sink. The 2nd time I was the only mum who pushed their pram into the large room as Ben was alseep. So after change I put him down and washed and yet again no one washed their hands :shock:

At home I do sometimes soap and wash 1 handed, and then wash properly later but some soap and water is better than none.

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:45 pm

I usually wash with a wipe iyswim! or I have a bottle of that gel stuff in my change bag so usually use that after changing when out and about!

after changing I spray another cloth wipe and use that rather than a full on hand wash in the sink affair :D

The only time I really anti bac soap washed my hands was when Amy had an infection so I didn't risk any transfer!

jan x

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:47 pm

Yes, why don't people wash their hands?? We also have a bottle of the milton special solution to clean hands without water for those times you have to do a change say at the beach where there are no toilets etc.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:49 pm

When I had Charlotte a friend actually bought me a tub of hand cream and I though what?? but soon saw why - it came in very handy with all the hand washing. I am probably a little more lax these days and don't always wash straight away :oops: - if it is just wet and it is a pocket, I manage not to touch much but would obviously wash my hands before handling food or whatever.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:26 pm

I have never seen them wipe their hands with a wipe either :wink:

We also have 1 of those little pump anti bac gel things in the change bag for those emergencies.

Perhaps thats why you should never eat peanuts left out in pubs (7 or more different urine samples in 1 bowl was the research or something like that :shock: )

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:39 pm

Yes I have heard about the peanuts thing but I think that is because men are way worse than women for washing after the toilet!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:55 pm

Men :? :? :? :?

My avatar
karenandgeorgia
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby karenandgeorgia » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:00 pm

I have gel stuff in the bag for out and about, at home I do a full wash at the sink with Georgia usually joining me as she loves to wash her hands too :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Always wash - If can't wash then use antibac-gel (milton one is good but just found the carex one which actually smells nice!! Northern essence one doesn't rub in well), - and if I'm being paranoid will wash my hands, then antibac too!!

Am paranoid about germs on hands tho' - you wouldn't believe it if you saw what a scruffy mess my house is but honestly, I must wash my hands at least 10times while making tea if I've touched meat, sneezed, rubbed my nose etc etc... No wonder they're sore!!

Am trying the soap Ali mentioned but it stings :(

Lush handcream is fab tho'...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat