hf1

Washing hands after nappy changes?!

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:16 pm

[quote="Velvetsteph"] I must wash my hands at least 10times while making tea if I've touched meat, sneezed, rubbed my nose etc etc... No wonder they're sore!!quote]

Just do a food hygiene course and that's what you turn into too :shock: I made omelettes today with bacon and mushrooms and spent more time washing and drying hands than cooking and eating :shock:

My avatar
sjb2711
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby sjb2711 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:36 pm

YESSSS. Why not? :? :? It's no different to washing your hands after you've been to the loo. I can't believe people don't - I'm probably at the other end of the spectrum and find myself washing my hands every 5 minutes (OK slight exageration!!)

The only trouble I find is that my hands get really dry. I really must try and remember to put handcream on afterwards but I don't like the greasy feeling afterwards.

Sarah

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:36 pm

AnnetteandBen wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote: I must wash my hands at least 10times while making tea if I've touched meat, sneezed, rubbed my nose etc etc... No wonder they're sore!!

Just do a food hygiene course and that's what you turn into too :shock: I made omelettes today with bacon and mushrooms and spent more time washing and drying hands than cooking and eating :shock:

I think mine comes from doing home economics GCSE :lol:

I know what you mean about spending more time washing and drying hands though!! :oops:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:39 pm

Oh yes Home Ec was a good grounding for hygiene too!

Hands are horrible come winter and cold, they start bleeding through dryness, but I cant stand the grease feeling and forget to moisturise after every time, so only do them about once a day!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Oooooh yes I can't stand the greasy sweaty feeling you get after moisturising your hands - doesn't seem to matter what I use... Scrubbing the palms of my hands on my jeans helps a bit...

Just moisturised mine now while I remembered but I'm terrible, forget to do it even once per day!!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:51 pm

if a wet pocket nappy and am careful not to touch anything (eg out and about and no wiping, just from one pocket to another) the occasionally not...but other wise, yes, all the time, aslo horrible hands here...and no water hand wash in my nappy bag for just in cases!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:51 pm

But honestly how can people NOT wash their hands after doing nappies!! :shock:

I guess with disposables you don't necessarily have to touch anything dirty...
Isabelle usually soaks hers tho' so I never don't touch anything wet...

My friend who uses disps despite her eco consience never washes her hands after changing her little boy's nappy - even when he has poo'd sometimes, and I just think EUWWWWW!! Admittedly she does use a wet-wipe for her hands then usually but NOT ALWAYS! :roll: :shock:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:54 pm

I think being hygienic is one thing but I do believe you can be too clean and exposure to a few germs is not a bad thing - it drives me mad when you see adverts on tv for anti-bac surface cleaners making you believe you have a dirty kitchen :roll: There was an advert that got banned recently as it stated something along the lines of your work surface having more germs than your toilet seat (so therefore you need to buy their product to protect yourself!) and this was contested and proven to be completely unfounded!!

I am sure Charlotte is exposed to worse at nursery and will have a very healthy immune system :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:05 pm

Totally agree with you there Annette - I'm just slightly obsessive about hands!! :lol:

There was a thread on my bb before christmas about (no really honestly) washing the turkey and how best to do it... I kid you not!
This then later included people peeling musrooms etc... Which personally I believe is a form of madness :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat