Bamboo vs Microfibre

My avatar
Raychxx
Clothie
Clothie

Bamboo vs Microfibre

Postby Raychxx » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 pm

Dear all,
I am a Mum to be and have made the decision to steer clear of disposables and go natural. Anyway Ive been reading a zillion reviews and need some advice on Bamboo and microfibre cloth nappies. I'm primarily looking at Little lambs and Little comfort for now. Bamboo sounds fabulous and really natural but the problem I just have one of those crappy washer dryer machines where the dryer part is really substandard, so I'm considering going for the microfibre ones which come out nearly dry. Has anyone out there tried both? if so, what are your thoughts? I have loads of time to decide and try but want some Mum advice before I go spending any money.

Thanks All,
Rxx

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Bamboo vs Microfibre

Postby Vicki » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:37 pm

I would get some of both so you have the absorbency and quick drying - I'm not a fan of little lamb covers - may be worth investing in some motherease/onelife/weenotions covers.

Vicki

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:32 pm

I use both - microfibre is fab in that it dries quickly, but it doesn't suit heavy wetters, and the wee tends to come squishing out if the nappy gets too wet and the baby sits down heavily on it!

I love bamboo because it is so absorbant; bamboo and hemp are great for night nappies. However, bamboo can easily take three days to dry on a rack in this house...

I agree that it would be worth trying both, and perhaps seeing how you get on before you buy your full stash. Bear in mind that most babies are super-heavy wetters until they're weaned, as they're drinking pints of milk every day, so you'll probably get through a minimum of 8-10 nappies a day in the first few months.

For wraps, I prefer wool (lots of advice on here!) It's breathable, so helps nappies to last longer, is a natural fibre, and if you dress your little one in the right type of wool trousers (longies) or a skirt (skirtie), they won't need an extra layer of clothes on top.

Fleece is also good, although not as effective as wool, and it needs changing every few nappies - or every day at the most - whereas wool can be used for literally weeks until it gets dirty or starts to smell.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:54 pm

I would get a mixture of makes and fabrics. I'm not keen on cotton and sold those on very quickly, although I quite like cotton velour muttaqins and they dry nice and quickly (compared with bamboo anyway).

We use wonderoos for nursery (with mf or hemp inserts - I actually find both quite absorbant and wonderoos are fairly slim fitting too, but possibly tend to only really suit chunky bummed LOs!) and bamboo at home. Bamboo is a pain to dry (we don't own a tumble drier). Slow drying time isn't really a problem though as we have loads of nappies.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:50 pm

I loathe microfibre :giggle:, never really found it lived up to the absorbency claims! I liked cotton Tots and Little Lambs when my kids were in size 1s, but got hooked on far fancier nappies when my second moved into size 2s :oops:. I'm not sure what I'd do if I were doing it all again now... I second Muttaqins though for a quick-drying and *very* cute option; with the coloured cotton velour inners they're also fairly stain-resistant, and there are regularly buy 2 get 1 free and/or free shipping offers on if you buy direct (www.muttaqinbaby.com).

As for drying, even a quick spin in a not-so-hot tumble dryer will help the nappies to dry faster and stay softer. I usually hang mine up for a couple of hours, then tumble them on low for about 20 minutes (more because my dryer never gets very hot than out of choice :-?), then line-dry them until they're ready to go again. :wink:

My avatar
Raychxx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Raychxx » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Ok that's some great advice. I'm taking it all into account. I've already ordered a trial pack from Little Lambs with one of each inside so I should get a feel for it once Junior arrives.

Thank you all so much I'll keep you posted on the progress.
Rxx

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:57 am

Have you checked to see if your council has a nappy incentive? They may do trial kits. or give you vouchers or money back. It's well worth checking. And I'd advise you to try before you buy as well, so you can see them and try the drying time, before you spend a lot of money. Most nappy advisors will organise that for you :wink:
Have a look at http://www.thenappyline.co.uk

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:12 pm

I really like our Tots Bots fluffles (microfibre). They are absorbent, fit my rather long and slim lo brilliantly and she looks like the Fairy non-Bio baby :lol: We don't have a dryer, and they come out almost dry and will be wearable after a few hours. A brisk rubbing together softens them up, and away she goes.

TB wraps have got a lot of stick in the past, but the new style are nice and soft and stretchy.

I would recommend trying a few different ones, and if you can, find a local group for cloth nappies/talk to someone in rl so you can test them out thoroughly before committing yourself to one or the other...

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat