hf1

Fabrics used to make nappies.

My avatar
DanielleUK
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Fabrics used to make nappies.

Postby DanielleUK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm

I was thinking about having a go myself in the future. What are the best combos. Best fabrics etc?
Would love a low down on what I would need.
Also where can you buy bulk fabric for cheap?

Thank you xx

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Fabrics used to make nappies.

Postby Louise » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Hanna's post here explains all about the different nappy fabrics and is very useful. Generally bamboo or a combination of bamboo and hemp seem to be the most popular, particularly bamboo velour. It is cheaper to order fabric from abroad than the UK and I think some WAHMs import from China. I have no idea exactly what you'll need or the best place to buy fabric wholesale from but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more knowledge on the subject than me.

My avatar
DanielleUK
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby DanielleUK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:00 pm

Louise wrote:Hanna's post here explains all about the different nappy fabrics and is very useful. Generally bamboo or a combination of bamboo and hemp seem to be the most popular, particularly bamboo velour. It is cheaper to order fabric from abroad than the UK and I think some WAHMs import from China. I have no idea exactly what you'll need or the best place to buy fabric wholesale from but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more knowledge on the subject than me.

Thank you hun. I have no idea where to start to look for a wholesaler in China :oops: be fab if someone could help. xxxx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:03 pm

I made Dawn some nappies with cheap flannel outters, and used old terries and microfibre clothes for inners :giggle: I used the Ottobre pattern. They're actually the best nappies we have and fit the best. I put a single hemp booster and a fleece liner in and use them as night nappies :wink:
Obviously not much good if you're making them to sell, but you can use all sorts if you're wanting to make some cheap, practise runs! Cotton teeshirts are good too apparently, but I've never used them before

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:10 pm

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Ok firstly, how much would you be wanting to buy, it makes so much sence buying in bulk if you need all the fabric and can store it, but if your only making nappies for yourself I wouldn't consider it bulk IYKWIM, I import all my fabrics from China as it's MUCH cheaper, there's a yahoo group, minimum order is 10yards so not too much, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wholesale ... csnotions/ it does take a looooooong time to get to you, I think my last order took 4 months!

Greenbeans in NZ used to be great, but I think they put their prices up!

You'll find most people like bamboo and hemp as they are just super absorbent, and slim, but it's really down to the child, working out what works for them!

HTHs

My avatar
DanielleUK
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby DanielleUK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Thank you so much ladies. I have friends who are interested in cloth, and was thinking of first getting some fabric from the UK to try out with, then if it goes well to get from abroad. When it comes to what kind of nappy did you design your own? I have little ideas of what I would want to do from experience of nappies with Jaeda.

My avatar
DanielleUK
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby DanielleUK » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:30 pm

flutterby wrote:Ok firstly, how much would you be wanting to buy, it makes so much sence buying in bulk if you need all the fabric and can store it, but if your only making nappies for yourself I wouldn't consider it bulk IYKWIM, I import all my fabrics from China as it's MUCH cheaper, there's a yahoo group, minimum order is 10yards so not too much, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wholesale ... csnotions/ it does take a looooooong time to get to you, I think my last order took 4 months!

Greenbeans in NZ used to be great, but I think they put their prices up!

You'll find most people like bamboo and hemp as they are just super absorbent, and slim, but it's really down to the child, working out what works for them!

HTHs

I could not see any frabric patterns etc on the yahoo site? how does it work please hun. xxxxx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat